Errwood

Featured Posts

Hi can anyone help we have new owners at our marina and the moorings are all different sizes , What i would like to know is the distance between two boats as the owners are pushing boats so close they are marking each other , We was told if we didn't like it we would have to pay for two moorings or leave IS THERE A LAW TO HELP THE BOAT OWNERS

I think fire regs might come into this? huh.png

ETA - i don't think they do actually, crazy as it may seem! Maybe ask your insurer?

Sounds like a rubbish place to live aboard, maybe the new owners are trying "dissuasion tactics"?

Edited by lampini

I think fire regs might come into this? huh.png

ETA - i don't think they do actually, crazy as it may seem! Maybe ask your insurer?

Sounds like a rubbish place to live aboard, maybe the new owners are trying "dissuasion tactics"?

When we looked into buying a marina I found no mention of 'spacings between boats' in the legislation, however, when we ended up developing a caravan park we found there is a legal minimum of 7 metres spacing to minimise the spread of fire.

Caravans have gas bottles you know !!!

I can't work out how the boats are so close to be marking each other, given the "owners" (presumably of the marina?) are able to squeeze them together like this. Are we talking side-to-side? If so, then surely the distance between boats is set by the jetty/decking spacing and the owners would be unable to easily change this. If its lengthways, then I guess they could touch bow-stern but then there's fenders. And if its end-on mooring, I suppose they could keep squeezing them together until they're all one solid block of boats but even if they weren't that close, you'd still expect them to touch so pushing them closer would make the situation no worse.

Hi can anyone help we have new owners at our marina and the moorings are all different sizes , What i would like to know is the distance between two boats as the owners are pushing boats so close they are marking each other , We was told if we didn't like it we would have to pay for two moorings or leave IS THERE A LAW TO HELP THE BOAT OWNERS

Basically, no.

If you don't like their rules, you need to find somewhere that you do like the rules.

dont most marinas pack them in side by side?

This is the reason i left marina life and went out on the bank, sick of having one side of the boat looking in someone elses boat.

Yes but with jetties accessible at least one side of a boat, so there would be only one other boat you'd potentially contact; and the gap for 2 boats would be fixed.

I'd have thought "end-on" mooring ie without jetties, was in the minority. But it would make sense in the OPs case (I'll await confirmation from him though).

Yes but with jetties accessible at least one side of a boat, so there would be only one other boat you'd potentially contact; and the gap for 2 boats would be fixed.

I'd have thought "end-on" mooring ie without jetties, was in the minority. But it would make sense in the OPs case (I'll await confirmation from him though).

Yes, this is what they had at the marina i was in, but me and the other boat sharing the space between pontoons still touched and side fenders were needed.

Yes, this is what they had at the marina i was in, but me and the other boat sharing the space between pontoons still touched and side fenders were needed.

It's pretty common to have those short pontoons where the boats are tied with an end line and a middle line. This makes it difficult to tie the boat so it stays tight against the pontoon when it's windy. They then knock into each other. Having said that, I doubt it can be any worse for the boats than being moored against the towpath edge.