Hobbit stove glass retaining lugs

Featured Posts

As above really - stove glass broke (somehow overnight two nights ago.. no idea why!). I have ordered new glass (x2 - one as spare!).

The 8mm lug retaining bolts are, of course seized and rounded and certainly not 8mm anymore.... i need to loosen them enough to turn the retaining lugs 45 degrees (and back) in order to fit the new glass.

help.gif

I have new rope and am happy doing that - but how to get the nuts un-seized? Have tried wd40 and heat - am thinking of trying to find someone who can drill them out and replace the nuts so if it breaks again we'd have half a chance of twisting the lugs. According to the "how to" video on the Hobbit website, the nuts should only be "just tighter than finger tight".. Should i manage to get new nuts on, what should i use to try and keep them useable, what would withstand the heat of a stove door? Copper-slip?

Any help gratefully recieved!

post-19662-0-76737900-1475518452_thumb.jpg

post-19662-0-42447600-1475518477_thumb.jpg

I should add that one of the lugs is already turned 45 degrees - and siezed also!

post-19662-0-45044900-1475518541_thumb.jpg

ETA; We're at Trinity Marina on the Ashby! smile.png

Edited by lampini

WD40 is really quite useless at that.

Proper penetrating oil is better.

Some people use Plus Gas and GT85 and I'm sure there are threads on here about it.

Cheers Tiggs,

will grab some plusgas tomorrow - i fort they were all the same tbh!

When I've rebuilt stoves I've found a good screw extractor works well and they come out surprisingly easily. You have to bite the bullet and take the heads off and drill a pilot hole but it's the best way I found. Good luck!

Dan

Cool - did you then re-tap the thread? Did you use any graphite grease stuff to keep it free? Thanks Stagedamager... can barely hear to type as other 'arf has decided that playing "sixteen tons" rather loudly may be the answer.! Bless.....

No retapping needed as the stub of the old bolt came out freely. I put a bit of copper grease on the new bolt. The danger with running a tap in, is snapping the tap off in the hole as they're never that deep, and also you tend not to get a good clean cut as it's still working on the tapered end of the tap.

Dan

Chances are they will snap. I would leave the snapped off bit where it is and drill a new hole all the way through, then use a nut and bolt to secure the clip. next time you need to get the bolts out just grind/file/bash the head off and use a fresh bolt.

• Greenie 1

When I have done this on other stoves I have ususlly ground off the head of the bolt and removed the clip.

Ground off the remains drilled and tapped right through and replaced bolt with one put in from the front with a nut on the back to hold the clip on

• Greenie 1

Chances are they will snap. I would leave the snapped off bit where it is and drill a new hole all the way through, then use a nut and bolt to secure the clip. next time you need to get the bolts out just grind/file/bash the head off and use a fresh bolt.

clapping.gif

When I have done this on other stoves I have ususlly ground off the head of the bolt and removed the clip.

Ground off the remains drilled and tapped right through and replaced bolt with one put in from the front with a nut on the back to hold the clip on

Now then, now then!

And THIS laydeez and gennulmen in why this forum is proper excellent!

clapping.gif

If you havent resolved it i had the same issue. I had heard yonks ago that an attempt to tighten it slightly "might" create enough friction or something to then allow it to be undone. I used a pair of mole grips that were seriously tight. This technique worked for me when all others had failed.

• Greenie 1

If you havent resolved it i had the same issue. I had heard yonks ago that an attempt to tighten it slightly "might" create enough friction or something to then allow it to be undone. I used a pair of mole grips that were seriously tight. This technique worked for me when all others had failed.

Awesomeness!!!!

I now have 4x useable bolt heads and 4x useable lugs - how excellent - just a of tightening and a soaking of plusgas and voila! Just a bit of stoveropeing and bolt in the glass and fingers crossed the naff and expensive leccy heater can go back in the cupboard for the next emergency.....

Gosh, i could even forgive you for being the owner of a fat boat!ninja.gif

clapping.gifcloud9.gifcheers.gif

(i so so wanted to fix this myself!)

• Greenie 1

post-481-0-59209600-1475681049_thumb.jpg

Just two days ago same problem. Two studs snapped so just drilled through two new bolts, job done. Painted stove with Rustins high temp paint and bolts blend in quite well.

Seemed easiest option as tapping new threads with chance of it happening again seemed pointless. As said it will be easier to replace these new bolts and replace others that might snap.

New bolts can be seen in right of door.

Edited by valrene9600

attachicon.gifIMG_20161005_113933.jpg

Just two days ago same problem. Two studs snapped so just drilled through two new bolts, job done. Painted stove with Rustins high temp paint and bolts blend in quite well.

Seemed easiest option as tapping new threads with chance of it happening again seemed pointless. As said it will be easier to replace these new bolts and replace others that might snap.

New bolts can be seen in right of door.

Nice job!

Cool to have properly clear glass for once innit? Wonder how long it will last... we always cleaned the glass but it never gets THIS clean....!