Garden decking for firewood

AllanC

Featured Posts

I am re-landscaping my garden and am having to dispose of a bit of untreated decking. Would it be useful for burning in a multi fuel stove.? I also have some picnic benches that need disposing of too. They were treated with a general garden wood preserver over a year ago so have aged quite a bit since then. Would you use the benches for fuel or not?

Well yes I suppose it was treated by the manufacturer, but as it was used for a sun deck on the side of my koi pond, I've never treated it with anything since I built it. It is nearly 20 years old now, so is well weathered.

edit to change font.

Edited by AllanC

Well yes I suppose it was treated by the manufacturer, but as it was used for a sun deck on the side of my koi pond, I've never treated it with anything since I built it. It is nearly 20 years old now, so is well weathered.

edit to change font.

"Tanalith C" was still being used through the nineties as a 'decking' preservative so is likely to be the stuff you are proposing to burn has this in it.

Tanalith C is "Chromated Cupric Arsenate"

I'm sure I read somehwere 5 grams of the ash would be fatal.

• Greenie 1

"Tanalith C" was still being used through the nineties as a 'decking' preservative so is likely to be the stuff you are proposing to burn has this in it.

Thanks for that Alan.....down to the local tip for this lot then. Have a little green lifesavers medal.

One thing to consider if burning treated wood is the direction of the wind as you wouldn't want to blow toxic smoke over the next boat.

If the wood is old and treated with an Arsenic containing preservative the ash can contain dangerous levels of toxic metals.

Best you don't burn treated wood, especially old stuff.

Of wood treated with it, or the pure compound ?

Thanks for that Alan.....down to the local tip for this lot then. Have a little green lifesavers medal.

The reclaimed timber from the tip is quite possibly burnt in power station. You will see its all seperated, and set aside. Edited by stovepipe

A quick google found some studies done about 10 years ago. The conclusion is that about 10% of the Arsenic goes up the chimney the rest staying in the ash. The ash can be as high as 1/3 heavy metal compounds. So in answer to your question above, the ash is toxic. I have no idea how much would be fatal, but if you burn a lot of CCA treated wood I will not be cleaning your chimney.

The conclusion regards the smoke is - "These results indicate that the open burning of CCA-treated wood can lead to significant air emissions of the more toxic trivalent form of As in particle sizes that are most respirable"

Scarey? Or scaremongering?

Toxic ash? I must make a note to stop eating it.

Small amounts of treated wood as kindling are absolutely no problem.

I would be very careful making such statements - It may be better to temper them with "some treated wood is completely safe"

"Tanilith C" which was used up until the very early 2000's is most definitely carcinogenic in very small quantities - its replacement "Tanilith E" is, however, 'arsenic-free'.

Scarey? Or scaremongering?

Toxic ash? I must make a note to stop eating it.

Small amounts of treated wood as kindling are absolutely no problem.

And in the building trade we used to give builders a free pint of milk a day when they were cutting and fixing asbestos. No doubt if they had complained it would have been classed as scaremongering.

Eta - actually they were paid an allowance for milk which probably went on beer instead, I know in those days that's where my pay went.

Edited by Mike Tee