Gas prices

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

Read a notice on the gas store door at Buckden saying that there is a national shortage of 4.5 (I think)kg bottles. Where are they all, then? If there is such a demand that they are all out attached to people's appliances would you not think that it would make good business sense to have some more made?

N

Read a notice on the gas store door at Buckden saying that there is a national shortage of 4.5 (I think)kg bottles. Where are they all, then? If there is such a demand that they are all out attached to people's appliances would you not think that it would make good business sense to have some more made?

N

No idea! I shouldn't think there has been a sudden spike of new equipment!

I had heard rumour they are refurbishing the bottles.

N

I think there were a fair few at our Council tip last time I was there.

Do they ultimately end up back with Calor?

I would hope so, as cutting them for scrap has obvious potential hazards!

Went to our local Agricultural Feed Merchant yesterday (Calor gas supplier) and was chatting about the gas supply situation.

He has a delivery from Calor every Tuesday, and has done for many, many years.

For the last few weeks the delivery wagon has arrived but there has been no 4.5's butane, and the last couple of weeks a severe shortage of 15kg butanes. (presumably everyone who cannot get 4.5s have moved up to 15s .

The driver can offer no suggestions as to 'why' just that everyone is 'up in arms'.

He recently had his 'inspection' from the Calor Rep, he received a letter afterwards saying they were concerned that his 'agreed minimum stock levels' were down by 6 cylinders (he has many 100s) and he should do something about increasing it.

He replied that if they delivered his orders his stock level would be much higher as he is actually trying to prepare for Winter.

He has quite a number of empty Calor cylinders (4.5s and 15s) that Calor will not take back - why ?

They can only take back on a one-to-one basis with what they deliver, so if anyone brings back a cylinder and he doesn't replace it then he is 'up' by one cylinder that he cannot do anything with.

He said to me if I know of anyone who wants Calor cylinders (empty) he has quite a few that they can have FOC he just wants to get rid of them.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

N

I'm sure that if Calor were not so tight with their deposit refund they would get a lot more back. I've got an old table-top 'patio' heater in the shed which we never use, but as calor won't give me anything back on my "deposit" why should I bother?

The cheapest place I've managed to get a 13kg bottle of propane from was Capital Gas which is alongside the canal at Stoke on Trent (opposite Etruria park). When the average price was £26 he charged £19.43 for a bottle!

On a slightly different tangent, someone above mentioned the Thames flowing with liquid gold, well I've passed a couple of marinas today (Bray and Windsor) charging £1.21 per litre for diesel and £1.61 per litre for petrol!!!! Where are they getting this stuff??

Probably the local petrol station!

Its market forces at work innit. Given they are probably selling only 5 or 10 litres of petrol a day as opposed to the 20,000 litres a day sold by the decent sized petrol station three miles away, I think its a very fair price and more of a public service than a profit-making enterprise.