Free moorings in Lechlade?

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

According to the waterways press, moorings in Lechlade on the Thames are free.

Two weeks ago, my son and daughter moored overnight at the "field" moorings opposite the town. At 9 o'clock the following morning there was a knock on the side of the boat, which my daughter answered. It was a man asking for mooring fees. My daughter pointed out the fact that there were no signs to say there was a mooring charge, nor did the man have any ID to make him "official". She told the man she had no money, and he left. He sounds to me like a "chancer", trying it on with unsuspecting boaters.

Please be aware if you intend to moor in this spot.

As far as I am aware those are paid for moorings. There are maybe two free moorings just upstream of the bridge on the North bank by a bar, cafe etc.

Unless moorings are signed as EA moorings and free for xx hours expect to pay but I have always been given a receipt for bank side moorings that are not EA or the very few where the riparian owner chooses not to collect. I would not pay if no receipt was available.

The farmer charges £5 a night to moor here.never used to but as usual the chancers mooring for weeks on end and spreading rubbish around the field with cattle in put paid to that..bear in mind unless its a EA 24 hour mooring all the land is private and the farmer cando as he chooses regarding boats moored to his land

• Greenie 1

The farmer charges £5 a night to moor here.never used to but as usual the chancers mooring for weeks on end and spreading rubbish around the field with cattle in put paid to that..bear in mind unless its a EA 24 hour mooring all the land is private and the farmer cando as he chooses regarding boats moored to his land

+ 1

CT

ETA the farmer has to check the moorings every day to check that Boaters do not place Plastic bags over their mooring pins

The cattle eat them and become very ill,sometimes dying as a result

Edited by cereal tiller

The field moorings on the left before the bridge going upstream are normally to pay and you have to be very careful of the cows. They will eat anything.. ropes, flower pots and lick the paint from your boat. For a free mooring there is a lawn for a couple of boats on the other side, the right hand side going upstream just before the bridge, we always moor here. These belong to The New Inn and are free... Well a pint in the pub will suffice for you I am sure.

You can get the location at Canal Planner ----> here

According to the waterways press, moorings in Lechlade on the Thames are free.

Two weeks ago, my son and daughter moored overnight at the "field" moorings opposite the town. At 9 o'clock the following morning there was a knock on the side of the boat, which my daughter answered. It was a man asking for mooring fees. My daughter pointed out the fact that there were no signs to say there was a mooring charge, nor did the man have any ID to make him "official". She told the man she had no money, and he left. He sounds to me like a "chancer", trying it on with unsuspecting boaters.

Please be aware if you intend to moor in this spot.

You got a lie in then.

He, whoever, banged on my cabin top for a fiver at 8am a month ago.

I was happy to pay, whoever got the dosh.

James