Macclesfield canal br 47

Top cat

Featured Posts

Just to let people know that may be passing that way the swing bridge 47 is a complete b*****rd to operate. It needs 3 adults to do it. One to stand on the end of the deck to get it to balance and un jam. The other two to swing the thing.

Considering its a bridge from nowhere to nowhere else and there is no vehicular access why is it even there. CaRT could save the money they are not spending on maintenance by taking it out and replacing it with a conventional foot bridge.

Top Cat

It's part of a public footpath. Granted it only leads to the next bridge but there is property on that side. I doubt Crt have any right to remove it as rights of way have to be maintained. It's also a historic site of an old tramway. I've never experienced difficulties with it myself.

Edited by Jamm

Was quite easy when we went both ways back in the Spring. But a lot of bridges like this one depend on balance for the ease of operation. Anything which upsets that can quickly change the experience. When balanced it is a matter of getting up the momentum and keeping it going.

Edited by Mike Todd

When I first came onto the Macc this bridge was permanently open and basically unmoveable. The Macc Canal Society apparently insisted it was repaired and left in a closed position (not sure whose side they were on) and it almost immediately got to a stage where it took several people to move it.Then BW stuck a lock on it, which made it even worse as you couldn't get your key out till it was fully shut, which you couldn't do by yourself, which meant you had to wait till another boat came along, shut the lock in their face while asking them to help, get your key out and leave them to struggle with it (I speak as a singlehander). Then CRT fixed it so it was usable but it does seem to be hugely variable.

It doesn't go anywhere useful, and I've never seen anyone use it to cross the canal.

When I first came onto the Macc this bridge was permanently open and basically unmoveable. The Macc Canal Society apparently insisted it was repaired and left in a closed position (not sure whose side they were on) and it almost immediately got to a stage where it took several people to move it.Then BW stuck a lock on it, which made it even worse as you couldn't get your key out till it was fully shut, which you couldn't do by yourself, which meant you had to wait till another boat came along, shut the lock in their face while asking them to help, get your key out and leave them to struggle with it (I speak as a singlehander). Then CRT fixed it so it was usable but it does seem to be hugely variable.

It doesn't go anywhere useful, and I've never seen anyone use it to cross the canal.

Exactly! If it was permanently open for so many years why does it have to be kept closed now? I've never seen anyone going over it either!

And I nearly suffered permanent health damage trying to operate it a couple of weeks ago.

Leave it open and put a chain on it for walkers - let them have a go at operating it.

(snip) ... as you couldn't get your key out till it was fully shut, which you couldn't do by yourself, which meant you had to wait till another boat came along, shut the lock in their face while asking them to help, get your key out and leave them to struggle with it (I speak as a singlehander). (snip)

Or swap keys?