Erewash canal

johnnie1uk

Featured Posts

went there twice did not make the end first time, mother in law died so had to go back. I did the second time but nearly did not make it back ,fell in and broke my ribs....... apart from that it was ok a bit of junk in some bits no worse than others ,stopped to go for a pint at mfn and it was shut ( bikers pub) mid week some yoofs at the locks but the wife got them to help her open them ps this was 4 years ago so don't know what its like now

We Moor at Langley Mill and would recommend the trip up. There's great local amenities at the top and some nice mooring spots, give it a try!

I personally wouldn't Moor in the ilkeston or cotmanhay areas or around pastures lock, one up from Sandiacre.

I'm on the Erewash at the moment (or at least Cygnet is, in the Great Northern Basin - I'm returning to the boat tomorrow, and going back down Wednesday.)

My impression coming up the Erewash was that it is not particularly different from other broad canals. Some of the locks are quite hard, especially the bottom gates of Long Eaton, but really no worse than The Calder & Hebble, my local patch. I was singlehanded, without a boat to pair with, which would have made things easier. There is a lot of duckweed in the upper reaches, and other weed in the basin.

In spite of warnings about Ilkeston and Cotmanhay, I hardly noticed they were there, as they are screened by trees, with fields on the other side. And there were boats moored there, too, both visitors and end of garden moorings. There were some kids at the locks, but they were fine. I'm intrigued with the warning about the area about Pastures Lock, which appears to be right out in the country.

I stopped at the Padmore moorings at Sandiacre, as I guess most people do, but didn't think much of the nearby pubs so did a little research and found the Horse and Jockey at Stapleford, the best pub I've found this trip (so far!), a bit of a trek but with a very frequent bus service (2 minutes from the moorings).

I would expect some improvements in the depth and the lock gates early next year seeing as the IWA bash is in Ilkeston next year.

Also agree with not mooring in cotmanhay but the basin has good moorings.

We were on it last month and thoroughly enjoyed it. Never once did we feel threatened although we only overnighted in the basin at the far end. Any kids we came accross we engaged with and they were fine. The scenery was a nice mix of urban on one side and countryside on the other, with some interesting buildings such as the mill at Sandicare which they have tastefully converted into accomodation.

Weed is prominent at the beginning and especially so at the far end, but generally no worse that other little used canals. Room at the basin is limited but the locals are very helpful and should get you in somewhere. Some of the locks are a bit difficult but the misses and I easily managed it in about 7 hours each way and we weren't rushing. If you want to break the journey part way they reckon Sandiacre is okay but would be very noisy as it's right next to a busy main road.

We went on this canal merely to tick it off our 'done' list but we were pleasantly surprised by it enough to consider doing it again sometime in the future.

If doing the Erewash a very good place to pop in for a meal is Trent lock golf club ( guess where it is ) lovely surroundings no golfers ever in spoilinmg the place and they do a great meal deal every evening which includes 2 fab rump steak with chips etc for only 13 squid and its bloody good quality steak, a bargain in todays world. So forget the overpriced plastic pub at the Lock and go for beer at the proper pub the |Steamboat and a meal at the golf club.

Tim

We overnighted in Ilkeston by the playing fields (there is armco shuttering halfsubmerged on the brick wall), there is a nice walk up to the disused Nottingham canal from here. Also spent the night in the pound above Stenson's lock both with no problems. Locals were very friendly in Ilkeston and at Langley mills. Only downside was the rubbish in the canal but it is definitely worth doing and taking time over in my opinion. The locks do take time to work so my advice is not to try and rush up to the end in one go.

Edited by Dave123