Cover for switch panel

valrene9600

Featured Posts

post-481-0-22929600-1471597817_thumb.jpg

I have a very similar panel to this that is to the side of stairs. As expected anyone not regular crew tends to brush past switches as they enter/exit knocking switches on/off.

What i am looking for is a box with out a back that can be fixed over the panel but with a door that can be opened to use switches.

Just not sure what to google name wise. Have tried switch covers and boxes but no luck yet, any help please.

On Google........ Acrylic cover or acrylic lid ....or "Clear Polystyrene Plastic Boxes, with Hinged Covers"

On eBay.......... acrylic case

Would a DVD case, with most of the 'bottom' leaf cut out, do the job?

Edited by OldGoldy

I think I'd make something like a simple picture frame with acrylic instead of glass, hinged on one side, held closed with a tiny neodymium magnet. Or indeed recess the entire panel as suggested by Flyboy, which is probably a neater solution.

Tony

post-481-0-37852000-1471606149_thumb.jpg

This on the left is closest i have come to. On the left, if i cut out the bottom leaving each corner for a screw and fix over switches i can open and shut to operate switches.

Size of panel to cover is 13cmx19cm x 2cm deep

Thanks everyone

attachicon.gifs-l1600.jpg

This on the left is closest i have come to. On the left, if i cut out the bottom leaving each corner for a screw and fix over switches i can open and shut to operate switches.

Size of panel to cover is 13cmx19cm x 2cm deep

A trip down to Maplins may be suitable as they have loads of different size project boxes with lids, a lid may just the thing you need.

A trip down to Maplins may be suitable as they have loads of different size project boxes with lids, a lid may just the thing you need.

Yes perhaps a visit would be good. Their search bar is rubbish, search "storage tray" and it comes up with air conditioner and telescope.

No wonder i`m having trouble but i will keep going.

Yes perhaps a visit would be good. Their search bar is rubbish, search "storage tray" and it comes up with air conditioner and telescope.

No wonder i`m having trouble but i will keep going.

Boxes&sort=&page=1&productsPerPage=12

Or from the Tabs on their home page / Components / Project Boxes

Edited by Robbo

I had the same problem. I fitted one of those thin brass curtain rails diagonally across the panel, to act as a bumper/fender for the wide beam folk who kept nudging the switches. Has worked well for the last 6 years and a lot less faff than funding an appropriately sized box.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update this is what I found as a solution.

At least the switches are protected.

Trying to turn picturepost-481-0-58365400-1472763991_thumb.jpgpost-481-0-58365400-1472763991_thumb.jpg

OK so bottom pic. Just two shallow compartmental boxes with back cut to fit over switches. Lid opens for operation but switches can be seen through clear box.

post-481-0-30380600-1472764455_thumb.jpg

Edited by valrene9600

Just as an update this is what I found as a solution.

At least the switches are protected.

Trying to turn pictureattachicon.gif20160901_182307(0).jpgattachicon.gif20160901_182307(0).jpg

OK so bottom pic. Just two shallow compartmental boxes with back cut to fit over switches. Lid opens for operation but switches can be seen through clear box.

Where did the boxes come from? I was just pondering my (very limited) control panel the other day. It lives outside only protected by the 6" overhang at the back of the roof. The slightest breeze in the wrong direction and it must be getting wet. The mounting screws are rusty and I'd be concerned that water could get in around the edges and seep into ??? I had been thinking of a loose flap but a top-edge hinged shallow box might do the trick. Sealed to the back wall of the cabin and closed when not in use - flap open for access. Hmm!

I've got a similar box that someone gave me that is exactly the size of an open Nicholson's but way too big for my switch panel.

Where did the boxes come from? I was just pondering my (very limited) control panel the other day. It lives outside only protected by the 6" overhang at the back of the roof. The slightest breeze in the wrong direction and it must be getting wet. The mounting screws are rusty and I'd be concerned that water could get in around the edges and seep into ??? I had been thinking of a loose flap but a top-edge hinged shallow box might do the trick. Sealed to the back wall of the cabin and closed when not in use - flap open for access. Hmm!

I've got a similar box that someone gave me that is exactly the size of an open Nicholson's but way too big for my switch panel.

http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/craft-storage-boxes-c4/compartment-boxes-c37/23-5cm-9-02-square-plastic-8-compartment-divided-extra-shallow-organiser-box-p2075/s3389

cHECK SIZES ESPECIALLY DEPTH.