mods and manners

gaggle

Featured Posts

Is it not the done thing for mods to inform a poster if they delete any posts the poster may have made , has it come to the point they no longer need to explain the why and wherefore of anything the feel is against A , THE FORUM RULES OR B , JUST THEIR PETTY MIND SET

Is it not the done thing for mods to inform a poster if they delete any posts the poster may have made , has it come to the point they no longer need to explain the why and wherefore of anything the feel is against A , THE FORUM RULES OR B , JUST THEIR PETTY MIND SET

I thought the forum rules said Mods definitely wouldn't explain their actions. Obviously to avoid them getting into slanging matches with those who think their posts shouldn't have been deleted.

No need to shout we can all read your post easily.

It would be polite if one was notified that their thread was being removed.

I started one entitled " Recent Events" where a few posters started bickering.

Next time I looked the thread was nowhere to be seen. No communication, PM, nothing.

Now I have no objection to inflammatory posts being removed or threads against the rules being removed but I think it's a bit rich to remove the whole thread (which was not against any rules) due to a few posters acting their shoe size not their age.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Dyertribe

it is polite to tell you they have removed a post of yours and the reason why, have you asked them why?

I thought the forum rules said Mods definitely wouldn't explain their actions.

Yes it's in the site terms that we don't have to, when I became an admin here, we didn't, but now we usually do. But not on the public forum, in private. So it's always best to message us if something is not as you expected.

It could merely be an oversight that someone forgot to message a member, for whatever reason, its not malicious.

Then there is the boaty aspect, sometimes your phone or your internet signal dies and you can't even ask someone else to do it.

Cleaned.

Just for the record I inform original OP's if there thread has to be removed (not something I like to do to often).

I don't always pm individual posters though if there post is particularly nasty.

Well that's not strictly true is it?

When I look at my email alerts for the aforementioned thread "Recent Events", it shows that you were the last poster, saying "I think that's quite enough" (way after I had left the forum and gone to bed). Then the thread disappeared.

You have certainly not PM'ed me to inform, much less explain why it was pulled.

Alyson

When I look at my email alerts for the aforementioned thread "Recent Events", it shows that you were the last poster, saying "I think that's quite enough" (way after I had left the forum and gone to bed). Then the thread disappeared.

Alyson

check your pms I'm going to have a look through the admin things now and try to see what did or didn't happen.

Alyson

I'm sorry I must have had a 'power crazy' episode.

Seriously though it was an oversight. There was nothing stopping you from pm'ing me for an explanation. Sometimes replying to memebers can be forgotten.

I'm sorry I must have had a 'power crazy' episode.

Seriously though it was an oversight. There was nothing stopping you from pm'ing me for an explanation. Sometimes replying to memebers can be forgotten.

How would Alyson have known you were the mod to PM?

You're not getting this at all are you!

I'll rephrase it.

How would a person whose thread has been deleted know which mod deleted it?

You must start reading the thread properly mike:

Alyson

You must start reading the thread properly mike:

Alyson

Yes but your answer read like generic advice to all posters getting threads deleted.

How are they supposed to know who to PM?

I was the last poster perhaps?

Ok, it was fortuitous that I had elected to be alerted when there was any posts on this thread, not something I often do.

Had I not had these emails how would I have known who was the last poster? In that case there WOULD have been something stopping me contacting the Mod involved.

Is there a means of PMing all the mods at once (without needing to know the individual forum names of all the mods)?

Not as far as I know.

The full list however is here.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders

ed - though you can of course send the same message to a group of people, you just have to add recipients manually. If you start to type a name in the recipients box the forum software starts suggesting possibles.

Edited by MJG