12 volt problem

Tidy

Featured Posts

Good afternoon all

I have just fitted 3 new leisure batteries on my boat. I am connected to a Sterling invertor and I am connected to land power, all is working well. When I dis-connect the land power all is working apart from my 12 volt sockets just nothing running through the batteries.

Any ideas of what I have done wrong.

All the best

Chris

Edited by Tidy

As to what you have done wrong will only be guess work, you may need to get someone in that can check it for you, of course they need to have some knowledge of how boats are wired. wink.png

Have you connected all the cables you disconnected and if so put them back in the correct place.

I think that Chris asked me this question one the Canal Boat Forum two days ago but told me that his 12V lights and pumps are working. I advised checking the 12V fuses/circuit breakers and pointed out that someone may have wired the socket circuits direct to the batteries and he broke or left the relevant terminal off when he changed the batteries.

I also warned him about fuses in cigarette lighter plugs (in case he was only testing using one plug) and that mains 5 amp sockets used fr 12v are often wired in a non-standard way.

I have had no confirmation about the type of 12V sockets he has.

Saying the 123V lights and pumps still work disproves Murflynn's idea, although it was a good thought.

I do not understand what he means in this post by "nothing running through the batteries". This needs clarifying.

I do not understand what he means in this post by "nothing running through the batteries". This needs clarifying.

I 'think' he means that the batteries aren't powering anything with shore power disconnected but I could be wrong. Hence my question above.

I 'think' he means that the batteries aren't powering anything with shore power disconnected but I could be wrong. Hence my question above.

'all is working apart from my 12 volt sockets just nothing running through the batteries'

sounds like a contradiction.

That's why I posted a report of what had gone before where it was explicitly stated the 12V lights and pumps were working properly.

I am beginning to think that rather then enter into a dialogue so a proper diagnosis is much more likely the OP is asking the same question in different places in the hope he will get the answer he feels he wants.

I simply do not see how he can have the 12V sockets working when on a shoreline but not on batteries UNLESS somewhen has used a spare set of battery connections ion a multi-output charger to power the socket circuit but we need him to start talking to us before we can do any more than guess.

Another thought - this is a faint possibility but if a mains charger is connected to bow thruster batteries and the batteries were well and truly shot then is for some reason the socket supply was taken from those batteries then it MIGHT explain the symptom.However we have no way of knowing if the boat has such equipment.

I find it very strange when a newbie asks a question, gets a lot of sensible/helpful replies and feedback, but then stays silent.

it seems to happen quite often.

I am not commenting on this particular OP because he may have a good reason for not replying since his post. However if this does not contravene the no politics rule I fear its symptomatic of a society that has been taught that "me - me - me" is good and only suckers see a need to try to help others

I am not commenting on this particular OP because he may have a good reason for not replying since his post. However if this does not contravene the no politics rule I fear its symptomatic of a society that has been taught that "me - me - me" is good and only suckers see a need to try to help others

I see nothing suspicious or wrong about the OP's post. However I do see areas which are inaccurate/wrong, and/or need clarification. HOWEVER if the OP realised these errors, then they'd understand their electrical system better - possibly to the point that they could diagnose their issue without assistance. I think its quite unfair to attack the character of a new poster who obviously needs a bit of help. Tony I think you should think more carefully before posting.

I neither know the OP nor their circumstances, but I do know that it is not always possible to get a good enough phone signal to post on the forum. I had no signal last week but have 4g this week. Not everybody is sat at home using a landline network. I don't know if this is the case with the OP, but it could be. Cut them a little slack.

How about actually reading Tony's post. Read the words he typed. No one has been attacked, slack has been cut

Well said Sir Nib, and what preceded your post is symptomatic of another ail of today's society, jumping in without first understanding exactly what you are hollering about.

And Tony, a well thought out series of helpful posts.

Phil

Read and understood Tony's post,and speaking for myself, I wasn't hollering or misunderstanding in any way or intending to attack any individual. That is why I didn't quote any particular post. But generalising, having been accused of not answering posts myself, when in fact it wasn't possible for me to do so, it is rather annoying. As I stated, I have no idea if this was the case with the OP or not, I was asking that people be more understanding to those who don't have broadband 24/7. I hope that clears things up a little.

I agree that it is good manners to follow posts up eventually. I always try to do so, though there can be a delay.

Edited by Guest

Nicely put Catweasel, now I understand your stance, agree patchy net access can be a very real pain.

Phil

Cheers for your understanding. cheers.gif

It can be a pain sometimes. The other thing is when I type on the phone (currently I am on laptop but can run out of tethering!) and read the messages again later, they can appear rather curt (as perhaps the one in question does.) This is not intentional, but typing on a small phone is a real challenge for me, I am bad enough on a laptop, but using that thing to do one letter at a time takes me forever :)

I do believe we will see more of this as mobile devices become the norm, especially on boats.

Read and understood Tony's post,and speaking for myself, I wasn't hollering or misunderstanding in any way or intending to attack any individual. That is why I didn't quote any particular post. But generalising, having been accused of not answering posts myself, when in fact it wasn't possible for me to do so, it is rather annoying. As I stated, I have no idea if this was the case with the OP or not, I was asking that people be more understanding to those who don't have broadband 24/7. I hope that clears things up a little.

I agree that it is good manners to follow posts up eventually. I always try to do so, though there can be a delay.

But remember that I had been trying to deal with this from last Saturday. I did get a thanks reply on Sunday but nothing since. Even when I was in the wilds of the L&L and llangollen I could get mobile broadband the next day. However the OP could also have odd shift patters etc so that is why I specifically stated I was not applying my Criticism to him.

Edited by Tony Brooks

But remember that I had been trying to deal with this from last Saturday. I did get a thanks reply on Sunday but nothing since. Even when I was in the wilds of the L&L and llangollen I could get mobile broadband the next day. However the OP could also have odd shift patters etc so that is why I specifically stated I was applying my Criticism to him.

Fair enough, I was not intending to have a go at you, or any other individual. If my post came across as such, then I can only apologise unreservedly, but that was never my intention. I was just pointing out that (to no one in particular) it is not always easy when we don't have the luxury of home broadband (having myself been accused of being rude on a couple of occasions; one time I had been taken into hospital rolleyes.gif ). Also, as you state, there can be a multitude of other reasons, and I noted that you hadn't applied criticism to the OP.

I know some people never reply to good advice they have been given, which is very disappointing especially when the feedback can help others, but such is life I'm afraid. I think most people do reply, but we tend to remember the ones who don't.

Hope this explains my position a bit better, especially as I can type more on the laptop smile.png

Fair enough, I was not intending to have a go at you, or any other individual. If my post came across as such, then I can only apologise unreservedly, but that was never my intention. I was just pointing out that (to no one in particular) it is not always easy when we don't have the luxury of home broadband (having myself been accused of being rude on a couple of occasions; one time I had been taken into hospital rolleyes.gif ). Also, as you state, there can be a multitude of other reasons, and I noted that you hadn't applied criticism to the OP.

I know some people never reply to good advice they have been given, which is very disappointing especially when the feedback can help others, but such is life I'm afraid. I think most people do reply, but we tend to remember the ones who don't.

Hope this explains my position a bit better, especially as I can type more on the laptop smile.png

Absolutely but with over 10,000 posts you have shown your commitment to the forum and its members so if you and other similar members do not reply there has to be a good reason. What gets me is when a first poster asks a question without insufficient details to get a reasonable answer and then seems to fails to answer the questions asked of them or give any useful feedback. Although I agree that second opinions are very important it also gets me when someone asks a question somewhere else and then, later asks it in a different place without entering any sort of dialogue to help get the problem solved. I am almost expecting the same question to pop up on the WWW forum and if so that seem just plain rude without any further correspondence on here or where he first asked the question. Once again I stress that this is not solely in relation to this particular post. I have had/suffered a number of similar instances.

Edited by Tony Brooks