Fenny Compton to Dundas - Leisure centres nearby?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

The final long leg of Lutine's voyage will commence and it looks like Sara is joining me for most if not all of it. This will stretch the facilities for what is basically one person accomodation quite a bit and something that would make this work better is to go swimming and get a shower at a leisure centre on a reasonably frequent basis - Lutine's bathing facilities sort of work but the bath needs a much more powerful pump to empty it and I'm not sure I want to bail it out every time we use it on this journey. In any event, Sara and I go swimming regularly

So, the question, where are there leisure centres near the route (obvious one, Oxford Canal, Thames, Kennet and Avon) - I think I may know for Pewsey but all answers welcome

Thanks

There is an outdoor pool next to the moorings on the north bank in Abingdon, and another at the Shillingford Bridge hotel near Wallingford which I think is available for public use.

The Rivermead Leisure centre is a short walk from moorings at Caversham bridge in Reading, and the the Northcroft Leisure centre in Newbury is a fairly short walk from the moorings above Newbury lock.

The final long leg of Lutine's voyage will commence and it looks like Sara is joining me for most if not all of it. This will stretch the facilities for what is basically one person accomodation quite a bit and something that would make this work better is to go swimming and get a shower at a leisure centre on a reasonably frequent basis - Lutine's bathing facilities sort of work but the bath needs a much more powerful pump to empty it and I'm not sure I want to bail it out every time we use it on this journey. In any event, Sara and I go swimming regularly

So, the question, where are there leisure centres near the route (obvious one, Oxford Canal, Thames, Kennet and Avon) - I think I may know for Pewsey but all answers welcome

Thanks

The Nicholson guides list leisure centres.

We have used leisure centres in Reading and Hungerford while boating. The Reading one is nearer the Thames than where we moored on the Prison loop. The Hungerford one is at the opposite end of the town from the canal, up the hill.

I have also used showers in one of the M4 motorway services while car shuffling on a boat trip in that part of the world.

Edited to add: http://www.leisurecentre.com/Centre/Map?search=devizes&distance=50 shows quite a few along the route.

Edited by David Mack

Thanks Guys! It looks like the only long-ish gap is Hungerford to Pewsey then.

The Nicholson guides list leisure centres.

I thought it might, but (1) they are on the boat so I can't plan and (2) I've seen Nicholson's idea of near the canal before!

My dad, in the sixties & seventies used to swim in the Thames. Just a thought.

I think there was an incident related in three men and a boat too?

Would work for the swim, wild swimming is good in the right weather, shower afterwards might be a challenge, throw buckets of water at each other I guess laugh.png