Can i keep my computers?

MissMax

Featured Posts

I have two laptops and one computer. Is there any point taking them all with me onto the boat?

Reason i have three is one is to go out and about with my camera as it is a Mac Air, Mac Pro is to use for watching films and downloading and the Imac is for working on.

Would i need to get lots of batteries or should i just stick to one laptop

Thank you

You can have as many electrical guzzling appliances as you like.

However - you need to remember that you need to replace everything that you use with running the engine or a generator, or (in the Summer months) Solar panels.

If you plan your electrics as a SYSTEM then it is only a financial problem, not a technical problem and easily resolved.

(£8000-£10000 for a integrated diesel generator should meet most of your needs)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thank you Mr Enfield. Guess i could do without them all and just keep the air and use External hard-drives sad.png

Edit

Just seen the rest of the replys. I can manage with one laptop.....what about 1 laptop and one of those ipads ?

Edited by MissMax

Also if you are planning on watching your films through the internet, you'll need to look at your data speeds, needs and costs. You aren't taking a 'bank' lifestyle afloat!

You've got to oo and aaah at the wildlife, watch the sunsets, chat to other boaters, do all the routine daily boaty tasks - they'll be little time to be iPadding in the day and in the evening you'll be far too knackered with all the fresh air and busyness to bother or care beyond sinking a swift half and sinking into a chair before your eyes close..... clapping.gif

Just a 'tip' - check your laptop voltage first. (Mine is 19v so a car converter won't work)

Laptops are all 19v! This is the whole point of a car converter - they step up the 12v to 19v.

Thank you for the tip smile.png

8vqS5F3.jpg

z3ESy6r.jpg

Emptied my flat today smile.png

Is that your new bote?

I'm not sure you've got the hang of this yet!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

I hope you lot know that i am googling like a monkey trying to find out how to use a Mac in the wilderness :(

I thought you just plugged things in and that was that!

I thought i could watch nature on my big screen (where it can't brake my arm)

This Narrowboating is blooming complicated :(

Just a 'tip' - check your laptop voltage first. (Mine is 19v so a car converter won't work)

good point,

best place to check would probably be mac forums

Thank you for the tip smile.png

8vqS5F3.jpg

z3ESy6r.jpg

Emptied my flat today smile.png

on the hottest day of the year you empty flat :)

I live on a boat and use my laptop daily, though I don't use my TV and I conserve wherever I can. Some tasks I do for this site take me hours to complete, all would be difficult to do without a laptop.

I do have a marina mooring which is convenient but it's also possible to run a laptop while out on the cut. Out on the cut, I run my laptop via its own battery until it's low. I charge my laptop battery whenever the engine is running. I also change the power settings on the laptop to conserve battery life. It does require more effort than living on land but it's possible. I will install solar panels in the near future which will help.

If you simply want to surf the web though, I recommend using a tablet/iPad for this as they're not so power hungry. smile.png

Laptops are all 19v! This is the whole point of a car converter - they step up the 12v to 19v.

Interested if you could point me towards one suitable for an Compaq

I have bought a couple (one from Amazon and one from ebay) but neither of them worked. although both stated they were for Compaq.

Interested if you could point me towards one suitable for an Compaq

I have bought a couple (one from Amazon and one from ebay) but neither of them worked. although both stated they were for Compaq.

Compaq?

Are they running DOS or Windows 3.0?

• Greenie 1

Thank you RichM. I can keep both laptops (can't live with just one) and rehome my Imac smile.png and also look into solar power

OI you two chaps in the back. I didn't know it was going to be so blooming hot. I never thought i contained that much sweat.

Skips are expensive :(