eberspacher not firing up

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

Possibly your battery voltage is low? Try starting it again with the engine running to see if that makes a difference.

Just a thought.

Ken

ive just tried that but no luck , im connected to shore power would that make a difference?

Check the fuse, we had that same behaviour when one of the fuses had melted which I was told was a common problem on older models. I now have new fuses and fuse holders in the Eberspacher box of electrics.

Eberspachers do not like to be left without being used occasionally. It could be a number of things, airlock in water system, fuel system, one of the sensors faulty, unit coked up. Being hooked up to shore supply makes it unlikely that it is a low voltage issue.

with reference to Robs suggestion, take the relay and fuses out for over 10 seconds and replace them as well, may reset the unit.

Edited by matty40s

Mine is a Mikuni but it has some flashing leds to tell you what went wrong. What's the model number? If you don't have the manual on board you could download it.

We envy you if you need heat, its 33 outside and similar inside and we are schvitzing!

Had a similar issue a while ago. It would try and fire up for about 5-10 seconds and then shut down when the startup check process failed. Had it serviced and the bloke said it was pretty coked up inside. As I understand, there's a plastic impeller inside and if this cannot rotate it will not fire up. It cost me £80 to get it serviced including a new gasket.

Before you take the whole thing to pieces check the (very small) filter (looks like a tiny thimble) on the fuel inlet pipe (under the cover on a model 4DW or 5DW - it is inside the large nut-looking thing beside the cylindrical pump).

If you haven't used it for a while, or the diesel tank has been low, or just been topped up stirring up the bottom of the tank, little bits of gunk get stuck in there. The cutting out after 90 seconds or so may point to this - the pump will tick away trying to pump fuel through, and if for some reason it is not flowing (e.g. because the filter is full of gunk) then it gives up and the whole unit powers back down.

What model is it?

Does it have a timer? the timer unit should give you a diagnostics read out/code to tell what the problem is.

This man has put up a good video to show how to take apart and service dw4/5's. It has saved me a fortune.

There are many threads with good info about this problem if you do a search on here.

This video also saved me a fortune . More than two years since having to service my eber now and its running good as gold ........ for now .

I received alot of very patient help on this forum - i was hesitant to pull such an expensive bit of kit apart , but with much help i eventually did so. Followed the vid very very carefully . Putting all the screws into labelled yogurt pots etc , all done slowly , calmy & methodically as i was way out of my comfort zone .

Replaced several gaskets , cleaned out its innards , replaced the tiny little thimble shaped filter on the dosing pump & and then put it back together . I also replaced the " torpedo " type fuses for blade fuses . A big big job for me .

I still love to listen to it firing up & ticking away - its a sound that would annoy many an eber owner , but not me .

Referring to the very good bit of advice above which suggests checking the little thimble shaped filter on the dosing pump . IF you have a D4WSC or D5 WSC model of water heater then the pump & its filter are INSIDE the heater unit and so it needs removal to check . If your pump is external then thats great & i would think that after checking that there is sufficient voltage for starting up then the filter woud be the next thing to check .

Spare parts are available from a very helpful chap on ebay : search for angliapostalparts

cheers

Edited by chubby

Also...(as I said to Chubby 2 years ago)...the main..large fuse in the grey control box....heats up and eventually the holder loses its 'spring'....make sure that the springs at either end grip the fuse tightly....

Check the glow plug for continuity...they can look fine ..but have a break in them...

Edited by Bobbybass