CC'íng during winter months....crazy?

soenghei

Featured Posts

At Kintbury the first two moorings up from the water tap were not WM's. We overstayed on one by two nights (dog vet operation stuff) and got a warning letter of CaRT. The next spot or two up were also NOT WMs (I think) but were occupied for the entire winter so I assume these boats had some special dispensation from CaRT. The next two spots were occupied by CaRT work boats. So mtb was almost correct, there were just two available spots on the whole of the Kintbury VM's.

Likewise at Hungerford I understand that one or two boats had special dispensation to overstay due to injury/illness so the amount of available VMs was again limited.

..............Dave

Before cc ing was in existence we just lived on our boats year round moving every minimum14 days.

No efficient led lights, no battery management systems no mobile phones no internet to get advice. It was easy you just did it.

Buckby to work or the pub if you were frozen in. Elsan to emptying point in back of car( took one on a bus once)

The single most important system is the heating, then the water then the lighting.

Before cc ing was in existence we just lived on our boats year round moving every minimum14 days.

No efficient led lights, no battery management systems no mobile phones no internet to get advice. It was easy you just did it.

Buckby to work or the pub if you were frozen in. Elsan to emptying point in back of car( took one on a bus once)

The single most important system is the heating, then the water then the lighting.

Now some want to make it difficult. Why?

You may moor upnto 14 days; however, if a permit holder arrives you will need to move

Indeed. So someone abiding with the law would then be asked give way to someone who is paying CRT to be allowed to exceed the 14 day law.

Let's hope nobody calls CRT up on it eh? :)

Agreed with all the above, boating in the winter is fab.

All I would add is make sure you hire a boat with a wood/solid fuel burning stove. Some hire bases have them, Norbury for one.

Then you will understand why boaters laugh when asked "Does it get cold on those boats in winter?"

I second this. Having a nice hot stove going in the cold winter is lush especially at night with a nice hot cuppa to sit down with. There's nothing quite like it imo.

No problem. Be time to start planning for next winter soon. GU for me, for a change, as they haven't widened the Oxford yet.

No, no, no, Not the GU, they hate us WB's on the GU. tongue.png

A couple of days ago, someone on here, tried to tell me we weren't meant to moor north of Leighton Buzzard. wacko.png

Just wondering why you were looking for a winter mooring on the K&A if you have a home mooring?

two boats - 1 mooring? Just a guessninja.gif

Sorry - forgot to add, we've lived onboard for 3 winters now, 1 in a marina and 3 cc'ing. All 3 have been fairly mild, we've been froze in 3 times but only for 2 or 3 days each time, and had it been Very urgent most of those days we "could" have moved without causing too much damage to either our boat or other's that we past. However, you don't know when you go round a bend if you're going to come across a moored plastic boat and to be honest I don't fancy either of us out doing the locks if there is even a little ice on the top of the gates.

I just make sure there's a good stock of coal/wood for the stove, the larder is fully stocked, we have some jugs of water to use for the loo so what we have in the tank is for cooking / coffee / tea, a full spare gas cannister and ensure our diesel is topped up every couple of weeks when the fuel boat passes by.

I've called CRT a couple of times letting them know where we were and that we didn't feel safe to move, but our 14 days would be up the following day, they were most understanding and said to only move when we felt it was safe to do so and thanked me for the call.

Edited by Bettie Boo

A couple of days ago, someone on here, tried to tell me we weren't meant to moor north of Leighton Buzzard.

I've called CRT a couple of times letting them know where we were and that we didn't feel safe to move, but our 14 days would be up the following day, they were most understanding and said to only move when we felt it was safe to do so and thanked me for the call.

There is a note I saw on some old map that wide beams aren't allowed north of Berkhamstead. I'm sure that's irrelevant now as CRT help wide beams go through Blisworth and Braunston tunnels. I know a few get up as far as Leamington Spa.

On the other point. We've found CRT to be relaxed about being frozen in too. I'm not sure whether they do as much patrolling in the winter. I have heard of a situation where an over enthusiastic EO tried to make a boat move on in dangerous flood conditions though.

No, no, no, Not the GU, they hate us WB's on the GU. tongue.png

A couple of days ago, someone on here, tried to tell me we weren't meant to moor north of Leighton Buzzard. wacko.png

Seems a good enough reason to go there. None of that lot are out in winter anyway, fair weather bunch.

There is a note I saw on some old map that wide beams aren't allowed north of Berkhamstead. I'm sure that's irrelevant now as CRT help wide beams go through Blisworth and Braunston tunnels. I know a few get up as far as Leamington Spa.

On the other point. We've found CRT to be relaxed about being frozen in too. I'm not sure whether they do as much patrolling in the winter. I have heard of a situation where an over enthusiastic EO tried to make a boat move on in dangerous flood conditions though.

Exactly, and then there's CRT selling LTM's to WB's between Braunston & Berko as well. So if we aren't meant to be there that wouldn't be happening would it?

I think you missed out the smiley. smile.png

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh Let them fight over the K&A and London, we don't need anymore boats up here during the winter helping themselves to the free wood, Armco moorings with wide open vista's for solar and a decent amount of working services DO WE???frusty.gifwink.png