What Vacuum Cleaner?

pearley

Featured Posts

On the boat we at present have a share in, we have a Dirt Devil. It is small and it is bagless. Its downside is that it is not very powerful. We are soon to become continuous cruisers and want a fairly powerful cleaner - about 1800 watts - that is also small enough to store easily. The Electrolux we have at home is probably too big. Any suggestions?

On the boat we at present have a share in, we have a Dirt Devil. It is small and it is bagless. Its downside is that it is not very powerful. We are soon to become continuous cruisers and want a fairly powerful cleaner - about 1800 watts - that is also small enough to store easily. The Electrolux we have at home is probably too big. Any suggestions?

I have a dirt devil as well. When I looked into getting a proper cleaner they were to powerful for my 1000 watt inverter to handle

suggest you buy a wet and dry, I bought a 1300 watt via screwfix direct very powereful but draws the batteries down if you use it a lot, no dispasable bags to pay for and handy for sucling up water such as in the bilge

Charles

suggest you buy a wet and dry, I bought a 1300 watt via screwfix direct very powereful but draws the batteries down if you use it a lot, no dispasable bags to pay for and handy for sucling up water such as in the bilge

Charles

I have a hand brush and a bex bissel type carpet sweeper, even with 3 messy kids and a silly dog not needed a hoover yet.

Edited to say....but then we don't have any carpets so that might make a big difference, I still do my rug in the saloon with a stiff brush and dustpan.

Edited by allybsc

I just bought a hand held rechargable Dyson...

its very powerfull and although each charge only lasts a short time it charges quickly

I have found that each charge will 'do' the whole of our 70 ft boat

I just bought a hand held rechargable Dyson...

its very powerfull and although each charge only lasts a short time it charges quickly

I have found that each charge will 'do' the whole of our 70 ft boat

I like the look of them, fancied one for home...but are they as big as they look on the ad?

I have had a couple over the years a neumatic Henry is the best and only 1100 watts max which wont kill your batterys and works with a 1200 invertor just fine

And i have a real cheapy from argos it cost £17.00 and it is real powerful and again it is below 1200 watt

Viv

we just bought a tiny panasonic bagless 1400w vacuum, it works great off our 2kw inverter and its plenty powerful enough.

we have carpeted our boat throughout and when we moved on the boat i brought my carpet sweeper with me, its very efficient but ive got a dog too and im quite alergic.. the vacuum sorts the boat out nicely when it starts to get a bit loppy... i use the floor sweeper often, almost daily, but the vacuum maybe once a fortnight. its one of the smallest most powerfull cleaners i could find. it fits easily in the bottom of a wardrobe, it would fit under the sink ( if we didnt have it full of bottles of water) as the poles and stuff all fold down small too. i think it cost us about 40 summat quid

Edited by honey ryder

I like the look of them, fancied one for home...but are they as big as they look on the ad?

Its quiet big but not really any larger than the biggest dust buster ....but is much more powerfull and has different attatchments so is nice to use

I went into John Lewis first and they have them in there so you can try them.:)

Edited by Gillie

We have a Morphy Richards Pets Compact Upright Bagless Vacuum see here

Works well, container a little on the small size (needs emptying every other clean on our 60ft Replica Dutch Barge). Handy to have the upright rotating brush, with quick flex hose. I can not remember power, I believe it is around 1.2Kw, but can check if required.

Ian

Elessina

We have a Morphy Richards Pets Compact Upright Bagless Vacuum see here

Works well, container a little on the small size (needs emptying every other clean on our 60ft Replica Dutch Barge). Handy to have the upright rotating brush, with quick flex hose. I can not remember power, I believe it is around 1.2Kw, but can check if required.

Ian

Elessina

It is 960w

We've got a totally ragged wet and dry vac, which is dam usefull for abusing into the ashpan/boilertubes/bildges/mudbox but having used it for all of that im not at all sure i would want to hover any carpets with it!! I doesnt live on the boat either.

- TBH, for the size of a narrowboat, i think i would be quite happy just doing it by hand? Its basically all edge anyway, and hovers are always crap at that!

Daniel

Vacuuming? It's a bit like ironing. Life's too short....

Daniel's post about doing it by hand sounds good! After all, there isn't much space to get messy on a narrowboat.

Janet

Yeah.

- Although we only have the cabin space of about a 44ft'er so some will have more, its really no more than a 5minute job to misson though the whole boat with the brush!

Daniel