Advice on type of roof paint please

Featured Posts

I badly need to repaint the roof on my narrowboat and after reading various articles on the subject I am still really confused on the best type of paint to use. I have seen garage floor paint, smooth masonry paint, amongst others recommended, can someone please give me their opinion as to what to use as I cannot afford to get it wrong and have to re-do it. I'm looking to paint it in a cream type colour. Thanks for your help.

I am new to boating but I remember someone saying a light coloured roof can be hard on the steerers eyes especially when it's sunny.

Our boats painted in this stuff and we're chuffed with it.

http://www.symphonynarrowboatpaint.co.uk/topcoat.html

Edited by Greylady2

I am new to boating but I remember someone saying a light coloured roof can be hard on the steerers eyes especially when it's sunny.

And a dark coloured roof means that it absorbs heat - very bad if the sun every shines. So it's a compromise. I prefer a light coloured roof and wearing my sunglasses.

(and anti-slip is a good idea too, if you are the sort of boater who walks along the roof)

We have used garage floor paint in the past and found it perfectly adequate.

Edited by Tiggs

I am about to get paint for mine and was considering floor paint for the roof and deck for good wear resistance, I called the tech dept for the paint and they warned that it is intended for indoor use and so is not UV stabilised and would probably fail after a few years, especially on a sunny surface. This could also make repainting a bit more trouble as the surface may be flaky.

So I abandoned that idea and will use an exterior gloss.

I have recently used this 'stuff' (colour 'light grey') and I am impressed.

Simple preparation and being 'thick & gloopy' it does not need a perfect surface it will 'fill in' any imperfections and 'chips'.

Rolls on easily.

But - WARNING - use a good quality masking tape because it does bleed under the cheap Poundland tape.

Really, really, is non-slip but a 'finer' grain that trying to add an even mixture of sand yourself.

Basically puts a 'plastic' (Polyurethane) very tough, cover over your boat

http://www.anti-slip-paint.co.uk/safekote-marine-litre-p-189.html

Did I mention I am impressed ? (or will be once I tidy up the 'bleed' edges)

Edit to add :

UV resistant colours are available for exterior use.

I did consider a coarser grade as :

https://www.promain.co.uk/rubber-anti-slip-rubber-paint.html

But decided it was a bit 'industrial'.

The 'safekote' (the one I used) is a lot 'smoother' and the roughness is almost not seen.

here is a picture of the two types :

post-11859-0-90680300-1466870516_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

And a dark coloured roof means that it absorbs heat - very bad if the sun every shines. So it's a compromise. I prefer a light coloured roof and wearing my sunglasses.

(and anti-slip is a good idea too, if you are the sort of boater who walks along the roof)

We have used garage floor paint in the past and found it perfectly adequate.

That might explain why we could cook bacon on our roof.

Ignore me OP like I said I am new to boating completely.

Thanks for the reply's. Grey lady, I looked at the website at the paint you used but I can't find any info on the coverage ie, how many tins are needed, can you let me know what you used for your boat. Thanks Martyn.

I badly need to repaint the roof on my narrowboat and after reading various articles on the subject I am still really confused on the best type of paint to use. I have seen garage floor paint, smooth masonry paint, amongst others recommended, can someone please give me their opinion as to what to use as I cannot afford to get it wrong and have to re-do it. I'm looking to paint it in a cream type colour. Thanks for your help.

We painted our cream roof with water based 'sandtex' smooth masonry paint. Holds up well doesn't clog the antislip and contains an antifungal that keeps the green/black mildew away.

I've repainted the roof 3 times. First time I used Rylard navy blue. Looked good and wore well however the cabin baked on sunny days. I repainted in cream / white. It kept the temperature down however it was always dirty and on sunny days the glare meant I couldn't see where we were going unless I wore sunglasses. I eventually repainted it using Leyland red oxide gloss. This is more of a silk than a gloss and has been great. It been easy to clean, cooler than the blue and can be repaired easily.

My roof is cream, which stays cool and I have never suffered from glare issues because it's a truly matt finish. I don't really think it's harder to clean than any other colour, nor does it particularly show the muck. Whatever colour your roof is it will be equally mucky in reality!

Thanks for the reply's. Grey lady, I looked at the website at the paint you used but I can't find any info on the coverage ie, how many tins are needed, can you let me know what you used for your boat. Thanks Martyn.

We only used 2.5 litres of Oxford Blue on the stern rails, it covered very well and had a lovely finish.

I've never brushed/rollered or sprayed a Narrowboat roof before.

Maybe someone who has can help you on how much paint you need.

All the best with it. :-)

My roof is cream, which stays cool and I have never suffered from glare issues because it's a truly matt finish. I don't really think it's harder to clean than any other colour, nor does it particularly show the muck. Whatever colour your roof is it will be equally mucky in reality!

Mine is grey with rust patches