lister gearbox

Bee

Featured Posts

It looks like a gearbox to me. It's even described as a gearbox.

You are welcome to buy it and find out. It's a clutch no matter what it looks like

It isn't the first time I have come across this misunderstanding

Richard

So is the clutch in the bellhousey bit on the right, and some form of reduction gearing on the left?

It is exactly that. If you compare it to an LM100, you'll find the 'gearbox' is completely different

Richard

It is exactly that. If you compare it to an LM100, you'll find the 'gearbox' is completely different

Richard

So, STRICTLY SPEAKING;

It does contain a gearbox (the 2:1 or 3:1 reduction box on the left of the picture) so it isn't falsely described, but the bit that would be useful if it were an LM100 reversing box is just a clutch without the reversing functionality of an LM100.

Can Bizzard not create a contraption to make use of a non-reversing gearbox in a boat.

So, STRICTLY SPEAKING;

It does contain a gearbox (the 2:1 or 3:1 reduction box on the left of the picture) so it isn't falsely described, but the bit that would be useful if it were an LM100 reversing box is just a clutch without the reversing functionality of an LM100.

Can Bizzard not create a contraption to make use of a non-reversing gearbox in a boat.

They are fairly commonly used with sailing yacht auxiliary engines, in conjunction with variable pitch propellers, which blades can be reversed for going astern, also the prop blades can be feathered to reduce prop drag when sailing. They are also used in industrial applications for clutching in and out of things like generators and water pumps without stopping the engine.

I think the idea of Bizzard being let loose on a big box of cogs and sprockets needs thinking through, I'm sure he would invent something but it might not be a gearbox, could be something to cut your toe nails and I, for one would not be the first to try it.