Electronic Canal Maps for Windows OS

manxmike

Featured Posts

I have a copy of e-canal maps which is great but incredibly slow. It works (?) on android and i-phone, my phone and tablet are now windows based and there is no version for this OS.

Does anyone know of software out there which will run on Windows?

This is good on windows but is 'maps only' you will need "memory map" to make it work properly.

Even if you have a legit copy on your PC I think you will need to pay for an extra licence for you smart phone.

http://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/wr/map-formats.html

For general mapping the OS web site is very good

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/54.4437104495,-1.4863022792,7

From memory it is £20 per year and you can print upto A3 (if you have a posh A3 printer - I don't) from the - in old money - 1" per mile and 21/2" per mile maps.

Added the links because I forgot to put then in

Edited by Chewbacka

This is good on windows but is 'maps only' you will need "memory map" to make it work properly.

Even if you have a legit copy on your PC I think you will need to pay for an extra licence for you smart phone.

The only thing you pay for on top of the DVD is the Memory Maps app. I run it on Lap top, (windows) Ipad and Iphone.

Edited by ditchcrawler

I have a copy of e-canal maps which is great but incredibly slow. It works (?) on android and i-phone, my phone and tablet are now windows based and there is no version for this OS.

Got mine working at last on Android, but every now and then it refuses to load bits of the map - comes up with "tile missing" when I KNOW it was there yesterday... they're OK once you get down to local detail, but moving round when zzomed out to try and plan a route is impossible. I regard them more as a toy to play with than a crucial bit of my boating paraphenalia - I like the old spiral bound Nicholsons which now have twenty years of scribbled notes in.

For general mapping the OS web site is very good

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/54.4437104495,-1.4863022792,7

From memory it is £20 per year and you can print upto A3 (if you have a posh A3 printer - I don't) from the - in old money - 1" per mile and 21/2" per mile maps.

Added the links because I forgot to put then in

I love these waterway routes maps, so accurate and easy to use.

Got mine working at last on Android, but every now and then it refuses to load bits of the map - comes up with "tile missing" when I KNOW it was there yesterday... they're OK once you get down to local detail, but moving round when zzomed out to try and plan a route is impossible. I regard them more as a toy to play with than a crucial bit of my boating paraphenalia - I like the old spiral bound Nicholsons which now have twenty years of scribbled notes in.

I know exactly what you mean - the "good mooring", "terrible TV", "good pub" notes are handy, except when work has been done or the pub in question has closed down. I'm not sure why I keep looking for electronic versions of the books I find so useful!

Is it because we expect everything to be on our electronic assistants I wonder.

I had e-canal maps running well on WiN 10 under an old version of Andy (an Android emulator) some months ago and it was pretty quick. However, this was a high spec PC.

Happy to try the same on a highish spec Win 10 tablet and report back but suspect it might be quite slow.

I know exactly what you mean - the "good mooring", "terrible TV", "good pub" notes are handy, except when work has been done or the pub in question has closed down. I'm not sure why I keep looking for electronic versions of the books I find so useful!

Is it because we expect everything to be on our electronic assistants I wonder.

The feature that wins it for me is the electronic ones tell you where you are. You can see just how far to the next lock or find exactly where that obscure offside water point is sited.

Just hard to use in the rain, and pretty catastrophic if it gets wet..

If it's raining that hard, SWMBO lets me know how much further I have got to go from inside the cabin.

Sort of an audio repeater display, but oddly laughs a lot.

I am very pleased I bought a trad stern!