Is this a twin coil calorifier?

Featured Posts

Hello,

After thinking I only had a looked behind the calorifier and saw 2 fittings with nothing attached, however the coil which is connected to the engine has a 1/2 bsp fitting but these are bigger than that, 3/4 maybe?

Would this be another coil in there?

xcorrb.jpg

Regards

Mitch

If you blow into the pipe does air come out of the other fitting?

Also if the tank is full of hot water, the air coming out will be hot if it is another coil - so longer as you blow gently enough to give the air time to heat up.

Let us know what happens.

I'd go with blowing in and if air comes out yes its another coil. Can't think of any other reason why a calorifier would have 2 spare fittings, in fact it looks like my twin coil tank, heated by engine and gas boiler.

Phil

Far better than mixing Eberspacher and engine circuits, so quite a result! Does it work?

If you haven't already, it's important to balance the heating circuit flow through your calorifier coil, so you'll need a valve in that line. Essentially, you need to adjust the flow for the coil output to be cooler than the input so that the right amount of heat is being dumped into the hot water tank. The Eberspacher manuals are available on line for full details.

I bought a twin coil calofier with a 15mm coil and a 22mm coil (or imperial equivalent) about 15 years ago. It was to order and quite expensive.

I chose the larger secondary coil as I had fitted a Rayburn in the boat and apparently a larger bore coil would be more effective for hot water purposes with a non-pumped central hearing circuit.

I don't have that boat now so I don't know how effective it was for hot water as at that stage I did not have the woman and children aboard :lol:

If you blow into the pipe does air come out of the other fitting?

Also if the tank is full of hot water, the air coming out will be hot if it is another coil - so longer as you blow gently enough to give the air time to heat up.

Let us know what happens.

And mind you don't burn your lips.

Neil