Featured Posts

Boaters all,

I want to replace the tired, 90s laminate floor in the galley that still makes me tiptoe with bare-feet as if i'm in a youth hostel.

I know it's marine ply beneath, though thickness I'm unsure of. Obviously I could simply replace with new vinyl or laminate and problem solved.

But now i'm thinking about painting the floor instead. Since there's no insulation there to speak of anyway, I don't think it will be any colder than it is now, which doesn't bother me anyway. But is it okay to simply paint the marine ply? (with appropriate prep and paint of course).

Has anyone else got painted marine ply flooring?

Thanks,

Andrew

I wasn't able to locate black and white lino with 4" diamonds so we painted the floor instead.

Clever , I like it !

clapping.gif

But is it okay to simply paint the marine ply? (with appropriate prep and paint of course).

Absolutely.

Edited by boat fan

Our back cabin has floor marine ply painted with raddle red. Quite hard wearing. NB Wickes do a oil based gloss - it's very hard wearing as we used it on a step on the floor. As long as you leave it for a week to harden off.

Chalk paint, despite all the claims for it, is unlikely to be durable on a floor. What lacquer are you thinking of?

Dave

I am questioning durability, but with the right lacquer wear could be sufficiently limited? Do you have any recommendations?

floor paint works well on plywood.

Do you mean the stuff that is sold as being for concrete floors/garage paint?