6 volt batteries

bag 'o' bones

Featured Posts

Having pretty well destroyed 4 12 volt batteries due to lack of sufficient charging, were wondering whether it would be worth replacing them with 6 volt batteries because:

1. Depending on shape they are half the size of a 12 therefore lighter and easier to manoeuvre into the engine bay. Plan is to remove the batteries when not in use.

2. If one cell decides to packs up it only takes out 2 other cells rather than 5.

Any other advantages/disadvantages?

The points about "if one cell dies ...." and also weight, are good ones, but the volume of the same capacity in watt hours will be about the same or slightly more in six volt batteries as there is extra casing volume involved, so you will have to see what space is available to use batteries that will give enough capacity for your needs - if you have height available you might find taller batteries.

However the over-riding factor on keeping them well charged is critical to long life... I use the inexpensive Lidl / Aldi chargers which have an output of up to 3.8 amps and do maintain a regime of topping up weekly and have kept our (6V) T-125 Trojans going strong for now nearly 7 years... Not much help if not on a shoreline though ...smile.png

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

If you comparing standard 12volt leisures with 6v Trojans then I think the Trojans are actually heavier, only 3 cells in each one but they are BIG ones, that's one of the big advantages of them. Trojans cost a bit more per Watt-hour so no real point getting them unless you can charge them properly.

...............Dave

and cell failures will be moderately rare on Trojans etc (though I have had one), by the time a cell goes the rest are probably pretty close to the end too.

..............Dave

Plan is to only fit the full battery bank when we actually use the boat properly. At the moment the boat is only being used for day use so there is a no need for the fridge tv etc. and limited use of the lights/water pump.

The idea is to fit a single battery for day use and keep the main bank at home on a maintenance charge, hence the need to make the battery pack less cumbersome.

Not even sure if we actually need 4 110ah leisure batteries!

Engine starter has a separate automotive battery

I have been looking at using 6v batteries to make up a 24v bank., but now my friend has said that I could use 2v batteries, as he pointed out they would fit in better in the space I have. don''t know if they will be more trouble than the 6v.I am getting confused !!! that is a lot of batteries.

I have been looking at using 6v batteries to make up a 24v bank., but now my friend has said that I could use 2v batteries, as he pointed out they would fit in better in the space I have. don''t know if they will be more trouble than the 6v.I am getting confused !!! that is a lot of batteries.

Not only is it a lot of batteries but it's also a lot of interconnect cables (11).

Tony

Where on earth do you get 2v lead acid batteries from, of a similar size to 12v batts?

Or are you considering those insanely expensive 2v traction batteries that are 18" tall?

Having pretty well destroyed 4 12 volt batteries due to lack of sufficient charging, were wondering whether it would be worth replacing them with 6 volt batteries because:

1. Depending on shape they are half the size of a 12 therefore lighter and easier to manoeuvre into the engine bay. Plan is to remove the batteries when not in use.

2. If one cell decides to packs up it only takes out 2 other cells rather than 5.

Any other advantages/disadvantages?

I'd say fix the charging issue, then choose what's best for you circumstances.

ie. marina based, on grid liveaboard, off grid, off grid liveaboard?

When it comes to charging, 6V Trojans and the like are even more onerous than bog standard leisures.

I'd say fix the charging issue, then choose what's best for you circumstances.

ie. marina based, on grid liveaboard, off grid, off grid liveaboard?

When it comes to charging, 6V Trojans and the like are even more onerous than bog standard leisures.

Line mooring without power.

Think will look at the solar panel route as well as removal during long periods. Thought about a small wind genny too as the mooring seems to have a regular supply of wind. Not sure of the practicality though.

......or just use the boat more! clapping.gif

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Line mooring without power.

Think will look at the solar panel route as well as removal during long periods. Thought about a small wind genny too as the mooring seems to have a regular supply of wind. Not sure of the practicality though.

......or just use the boat more! clapping.gif

The thing about this is, I never used to know when I was at the start of a long period of not using the boat.

Solar does the job admirably for nine months of the year, then for the winter it does absolutely feck all. (Just so you know in advance.) A wind genny for the winter months seems a Good Idea. Not sure why they aren't in wider use for that.

The thing about this is, I never used to know when I was at the start of a long period of not using the boat.

Solar does the job admirably for nine months of the year, then for the winter it does absolutely feck all. (Just so you know in advance.) A wind genny for the winter months seems a Good Idea. Not sure why they aren't in wider use for that.

good point

A wind genny for the winter months seems a Good Idea. Not sure why they aren't in wider use for that.

Judging from the posts on CWDF over the years it's because they do a great job of humming and vibrating the boat whilst simultaneously doing naff all charging.

Unless someone who has one comes on here and proclaims otherwise?

Tony

Where on earth do you get 2v lead acid batteries from, of a similar size to 12v batts?

Or are you considering those insanely expensive 2v traction batteries that are 18" tall?

I don't expect I will be using them as you said they are expensive, I was looking at Hoppecke batteries I think I will be sticking with the 6v ones,

http://www.off-grid-europe.com/downloads/dl/file/id/125/opzs_datasheet.pdf