Blacking up the gunwales

Featured Posts

No practical reason whatsoever, I far prefer to see the whole hull blacked. I think that the "paint the top bend " fashion started sometime in the 70s and has stuck since for no reason I understand. Perhaps someone could explain...

Dave

Hear, hear!

Far too many boats on the system with gloss paint below gunwale level. Many owners get precious about scraping it so they start deploying fenders in locks and the whole sorry tale develops.

George ex nb Alton retired

Hear, hear!

Far too many boats on the system with gloss paint below gunwale level. Many owners get precious about scraping it so they start deploying fenders in locks and the whole sorry tale develops.

George ex nb Alton retired

Fenders is the least of it. We followed a boat that was putting towels down to stop the new paint getting scraped

Richard

Fenders is the least of it. We followed a boat that was putting towels down to stop the new paint getting scraped

Richard

You know that 'bumper car' strip that some hire boats have up the bow? Has anyone encircled their hull with one? Like a proper bumper car?

How big is the prop on that? Looks barely enough draft for it to be any bigger than 6"!!

And I note it has side fenders down to protect the rubber bumper strip...

There are only 4 (on this side) and someone in the yard may back a van into it.