Unknown boat

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

That's ATLAS and LEO!

They are indeed! So where did Malus and Scorpio go? They were a fixture for ages.

Incidentally, could someone fill us in on the builder, build date etc of Atlas and Leo. That way we can all learn as we go. I only know they are a part of the BW Heritage fleet. I suppose I should have taken a picture of the other heritage boat at Hatton while I was there.

Richard

Atlas is a Small Woolwich (No, 16) and built in Harland and Woolf in 1935.

Leo is a Small Nortwich, (No, 353) built by Yarwoods of Northwich in 1935

This info, and lots of other info on working boats can be found on Andy's website here... http://www.ammodels.co.nr/

Malus Scorpio and Leo are all similar boats in that they are small northwiches. OK Scorpio is a motor and the other two are butties but the bows will be identical. If you look at Richard's picture the boat on the left (Atlas) has a different style of bow. The painted top bend of a small woolwich is parallel rather than tapered and the stempost ends level with the deck rather than curving over on to it as does a small woolwich.

At the stern the counter on Scorpio (SN) will be divided in to 3 by the rubbing strakes whilst Atlas (SW) is divided in to the more conventional 2.

Here endeth the first lesson.

Carlt will now explain how to tell the difference between a nurser and a wooden josher by touch alone even under several feet of muddy water.<G>

Paul H

Carlt will now explain how to tell the difference between a nurser and a wooden josher by touch alone even under several feet of muddy water.<G>

Paul H

Funnily enough there is a sunken butty that has been outside Charity dock for decades and is little more than a reedbed now. I was stood on the towpath, a few years back, discussing with a friend whether it was an Uxbridge boat or not and we were going on the shape of the reed growth showing out of the water!

We then went and asked Pete Gilbert (dock owner) who told me I was correct, it was a Josher.

He also told us we were actually looking at the shape of the stern, though, and the bows had broken off many years before.

By the way, is anyone going to put me out of my misery and identify that K&A motor?

Funnily enough there is a sunken butty that has been outside Charity dock for decades and is little more than a reedbed now. I was stood on the towpath, a few years back, discussing with a friend whether it was an Uxbridge boat or not and we were going on the shape of the reed growth showing out of the water!

We then went and asked Pete Gilbert (dock owner) who told me I was correct, it was a Josher.

He also told us we were actually looking at the shape of the stern, though, and the bows had broken off many years before.

By the way, is anyone going to put me out of my misery and identify that K&A motor?

Thats what Quail looked like when we last saw her before we left the K&A. :cheers:

Simon

As promised ages ago, I went to take a picture of Malus and Scorpio moored at Hatton and... well, you tell me:

IMAGE_00106.jpg

I was surprised.

Richard

Are the boats not atlas and leo. I did not realise that scorpio was a woolich, isn't a northwich, and has now had cloths and running gear fitted?

Here's a picture for you all.What pair of boats are these then?Narrow-Boats-Lashed-Together-on-the-Trent-and-Mersey-Canal-Near-Northwich-Cheshire-England-Photographic-Print-C12360230.jpegDavid Ray
I hate the way this just eats posts when Ive spent ages on them lol.The butty is probably KEPPEL the motor is one of the four Pimblott built motors in the admiral class as the Yarwoods built motors had a porthole on the rear left hand side of the cabin looking forward.I did write an essay previously but cant remember most of it and this computer will probably eat my post anyway.;)
Here's a picture for you all.What pair of boats are these then?Narrow-Boats-Lashed-Together-on-the-Trent-and-Mersey-Canal-Near-Northwich-Cheshire-England-Photographic-Print-C12360230.jpegDavid Ray
I hate the way this just eats posts when Ive spent ages on them lol.The butty is probably KEPPEL the motor is one of the four Pimblott built motors in the admiral class as the Yarwoods built motors had a porthole on the rear left hand side of the cabin looking forward.I did write an essay previously but cant remember most of it and this computer will probably eat my post anyway.:banghead:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
They are indeed! So where did Malus and Scorpio go? They were a fixture for ages.

Incidentally, could someone fill us in on the builder, build date etc of Atlas and Leo. That way we can all learn as we go. I only know they are a part of the BW Heritage fleet. I suppose I should have taken a picture of the other heritage boat at Hatton while I was there.

Richard

Before the last Bw reorganisation the Heritage fleet was in two distinct parts - boats owned by Central Shires and boats owned by West Midlands.Scorpio & Malus were CS boats therefore usually at Hatton while Atlas and Leo were WM were normally home based at Icknield Port. As they now come under one waterway they change round more and currently Scorpio and Malus are at Icknield.

Incidentally Scorpio has been restored as a 1950 s Maintenance boat and has not carried a cratch or stands since Brinklow Boats rebuilt her.

• 10 months later...