Lunch in a lock?

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Hiya,

Just had my weekly walk to Camden and back and there was a pair of boats in one of the Camden locks both just sat there with their crews having lunch on the roof. I'd watch the pair lock-up from two locks down (mentally taking notes for the future), so was a bit surprised to see them still sat in there when I came out of the market again.

Is this normal ettiquete, or are you meant to get out of the lock as soon as you reasonably can?

Just wondering.

In normal circumstances, it would be polite to clear the lock as soon as you are finished so that it is free for others to use, however if there isn't any other traffic around and you are not holding anyone up I don't see the problem really...

Jon

In normal circumstances, it would be polite to clear the lock as soon as you are finished so that it is free for others to use, however if there isn't any other traffic around and you are not holding anyone up I don't see the problem really...

Jon

When ever has it been a problem? Sooner or later someone will impose a rule saying this isnt allowed. I often stop in locks, and occasionally bridgeholes, if there's no one about, for lunch or tea breaks. Saves faffing about tying up a boat for just 5 mins or even 20 mins. Especialy if you're single handed.

Edited by fender

When ever has it been a problem? Sooner or later someone will impose a rule saying this isnt allowed. I often stop in locks, and occasionally bridgeholes, if there's no one about, for lunch or tea breaks. Saves faffing about tying up a boat for just 5 mins or even 20 mins. Especialy if you're single handed.

We stop in locks if there are no other boats. Obviously we move when we see a boat.. which is probs. why they were sitting on the roof!

We stop in locks if there are no other boats. Obviously we move when we see a boat.. which is probs. why they were sitting on the roof!

Ta! Consensus seems to be "fair enough, but shift quick if owt's coming". Which is fair enough!

Why on the roof? It was a wonderfully sunny day at Camden so perfect chance for a picnic with the food from the market. To be honest, can't say I blame them. At least I'm content now knowing it's a normal practice.

Cheers, All!

A lock is a great place to stop for quarter of an hour, put on the kettle, make a sandwich, visit the loo. The boat's not going to drift off anywhere and when I'm ready to go, she's pointed in the right direction. But... I'd only do this when on the way out of a lock, not when I'd just entered it, and if another boat turns off I'd vacate quickly.

A lock is a great place to stop for quarter of an hour, put on the kettle, make a sandwich, visit the loo. The boat's not going to drift off anywhere and when I'm ready to go, she's pointed in the right direction. But... I'd only do this when on the way out of a lock, not when I'd just entered it, and if another boat turns off I'd vacate quickly.

You can get a pint in a lock side pub too! :) i've done it at the Nelson

You can get a pint in a lock side pub too! :) i've done it at the Nelson

I've also done it at Castle lock in Nottingham :help: Hot day coming back from Thurmaston so I nipped in for a couple of cold bottles while in the lock.........brilliant.

Went for a chug last Sunday, moored above a lock for dinner, and watched as a boat came up the lock. No-one else was waiting to use the lock so the boat sat there for 15 minutes while the crew all got off with mops and rags and washed and polished the boat (narrow lock, so both sides done).

Lock 27 on the Rochdale, alongside is the best chippy in Europe, (Grandma Pollard's) don't bother mooring up just sit in the lock and enjoy your dinner. Thanks to some publications and members of forums everyone thinks the canal is closed so you won't be disturbed.

Edited by John Orentas

Lock 27 on the Rochdale, alongside is the best chippy in Europe, don't bother mooring up just sit in the lock and enjoy your dinner. Thanks to some publications and members of forums everyone thinks the canal is closed so you won't be disturbed.

Erm ... you can't get to The Magpie Cafe in Whitby by canal! :)

Erm ... you can't get to The Magpie Cafe in Whitby by canal! :)

fraid I agree withg John, Grandma Pollards it is, meat pies cooked on the premises and chips cooked in lard yum.

mind you tis safer to eat while in the lock than wander round on the towpath, it's the doggiest crappiest spot on the whole canal.

fraid I agree withg John, Grandma Pollards it is, meat pies cooked on the premises and chips cooked in lard yum.

mind you tis safer to eat while in the lock than wander round on the towpath, it's the doggiest crappiest spot on the whole canal.

Well, once I've tried them and found them failing by North Yorkshire standards then I'll see you outside .... where we can have a pint or two over the pros-n-cons of gravy on chips!

Well, once I've tried them and found them failing by North Yorkshire standards then I'll see you outside .... where we can have a pint or two over the pros-n-cons of gravy on chips!

Well that would be nice Chris but I must say I would have problems taking seriously, opinions relating to fish and chip shops from someone who comes from St John's Wood.

On reflection I am not sure if you could contribute much on the side beer either.

Edited by John Orentas

Well that would be nice Chris but I must say I would have problems taking seriously, opinions relating to fish and chip shops from someone who comes from St John's Wood.

On reflection I am not sure if you could contribute much on the side beer either.

Aye, but I'm just LIVING in St John's Wood! (and the more common bit, at that!), I'm a Whitby Lad thru-n-thru with several generations either-side living there for more years than you could easily shake a kipper at.

Unfortunately I made the mistake (?) of going to Thame Poly to start my degreee. and seem to have been stuck down here since ...

[edit for typo after a rather more liquid lunch than I indended ....]

Edited by Chris J W

You meanie, John! I often see you posting opinions about things you yourself don't use/do. (Living aboard, continuously cruising, solar panels etc! :) ) Just lay off the posh boy ok!

Its a bit of an odd thing to do.

- But then again, we've got out the steam lance and started cleaning the tubes in a lock before.

- Right in the middle of knoware, nothing for miles, so we just went for it and did a quick "soot blow" on her.

Then we did it at the very same lock on the way home!

Daniel