Land owner agreements - canal restoration

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

There isn't a canal building and maintenance section so I've put this in general boating!

Despite (or almost because of) the set backs last summer, we are gradually making progress on the coal canal. We established a reliable reinstatement of the historic supply to Paulton Basin over the winter, and have EA agreement for a limited amount of water (and a blind eye to a lot more if the river is in spate!)

This means however that we now are getting into the realms of land owner agreements - both with us and with each other. In theory having set up this water supply it creates liabilities both upstream and downstream, and if we extend the canal from the existing ownership onto the next one these liabilities will increase.

So the committee have said "Patrick, bring a specimen land owner's agreements to the next meeting" - obviously I'm the fount of all knowledge ;) trouble is, although I'm sure these things exist, I've never seen one! The big projects I work on don't muck about with agreements, they buy the land!

Can anybody help with either an existing agreement or heads of terms. PM me if you don't want to go public

Thanks

Patrick Moss

Chairman SCCS

PS - will go out and get photos soon

By coincidence of timing I am bogged down with a mooring and housing development issue where the latter has to comply with lots of flood risk control measures. For which a Flood Risk Assessment is required.

Although Environmental Agency guidance has been around for some time, the recent spate of severe flooding has focused attention on flood control and the need to incorporate these in any plans. The 'newness' off these demands means that any existing agreement might need to be modified greatly, for which the 'commercially aware' fraternity will see many opportunities to introduce all sorts of new conditions that reflect in charging much more money.

It seems CRT are well aware of this, and will exploit the situation to their benefit.

The age old problem of CRT having to get enough water to maintain canal levels (and having to pay for it) has morphed to you having to pay them to take your 'flood' water away.

In your case, and me being a complete novice in this respect, I can't say how much affect it will have on your plans - if any.

I mention it for what it is worth. But one thing is certain; if what you are doing involves local authority planning departments, you are likely be hit by these rules.

But it is not all gloom and doom. If your scheme has a net effect resulting in less flooding then you might be a beneficiary.

And as such these things need to be built into any agreement - which do not exist yet.

Good luck.

Would it be worth contacting other canal societies actively & currently involved in such things such as the Cotswold Canals Trust? I seem to remember reading about the need for different agreements with a range of different landowners along the length in their magazine The Trow

Steve

The age old problem of CRT having to get enough water to maintain canal levels (and having to pay for it) has morphed to you having to pay them to take your 'flood' water away.

That situation pre-dates CRT and BWB and was introduced by the private canal companies.

I was going to ask if you have spoken to any of The Chesterfield Canal Trust crew, I am not involved in this myself but if you do not already have contact details for people who are then I can furnish you with some.

I am wondering if Geraint Coles might be your man for this?

On another note, the History & Heritage section of the forum covers restoration of waterways as well as boats so that might have been a better section to put it in - people have found it though so no problem

Thanks all

C-R, yes, if you could let me have details (or let the appropriate people know I'm asking) - I should have thought of Geraint, I know him although seem to have lost touch recently

lazydaysafloat(at)yahoo dot co dot uk if anyone wants to contact me

Sharpness - I'm Heritage Lottery Monitor for the Cotswolds and nothing has come up working with them, in fact it's that one where buying the land/rights seems to be in vogue. That said, I'm only involved with the HLF funded bit, it might be worth asking about Inglesham which I'm not involved with

This question has been posed to CRT and IWA and I haven't got very far!

I would also think that WACT is the place to ask and perhaps going to the top and contacting our illustrious chairman Sally Schupke (see link to website already given for contact details) would be a splendid start.

WACT has had to deal with very many different land owners along the length of the canal and has also had to consider water supply problems.

Richard

I don't have any personal contacts, but I gather the Wey and Arun Canal Trust has reached agreements with landowners too http://www.weyandarun.co.uk/trust.php

Moving this thread to History and Heritage, hold tight please.

LCx

I would also think that WACT is the place to ask and perhaps going to the top and contacting our illustrious chairman Sally Schupke (see link to website already given for contact details) would be a splendid start.

WACT has had to deal with very many different land owners along the length of the canal and has also had to consider water supply problems.

Richard

Thank you! I felt they must be doing something with land owners - Sally is chairman now?!? I did some work with WACT about ten years ago and Sally was publicity officer then I think. I'll look them up.

Some of our members are also members of Wilts and Berks CT so hopefully we can get a lead there.

Thanks everyone!

Thank you! I felt they must be doing something with land owners - Sally is chairman now?!? I did some work with WACT about ten years ago and Sally was publicity officer then I think. I'll look them up.

Some of our members are also members of Wilts and Berks CT so hopefully we can get a lead there.

Thanks everyone!

Maybe you could also try the H & G.

They seem to do things a little differerently from other restoration Trusts.