Overnight stop in Wolverhampton

Bugsworth Tippler

Featured Posts

It's still part of the United Kingdom.

We moored, some years ago now, between the two junctions (Autherley and Aldersley?) There's a boatyard there who rented a space to us quite cheaply. I noticed that there were patrols of police on fast bikes along the towpath opposite, but we never saw any untoward behaviour - perhaps because of the police patrols. It fell short of "lovely" but it was quite attractive.

Had attempted theft of two locked bikes on the back of our cruiser back in 1990s at Autherley Junction. We where moored at Norbury. In the past some boats have been damaged there and a hire boat was pulled a mile and stripped by locals--it was in the Express and Star. That was a few years ago so maybe the police have improved the situation.

London was the place to avoid during the blitz smile.png

When I last went to London, 2 years ago, I got the distinct impression that it HAD been blitzed, followed by an invasion. I'm surprised I never heard about it in the news. It's difficult to have a conversation in English there, that is with proper comprehension and syntax.

London seemed to be mostly full of foreign tourists, although they all seemed to have booked mostly into normal homes, rather than hotels and B&Bs. In fact, when I booked a B&B for a friend's funeral, even the B&B owner was a tourist from some hot country.

Is it just London that's full of tourists? Are they coming to see the Queen?

When I last went to London, 2 years ago, I got the distinct impression that it HAD been blitzed, followed by an invasion. I'm surprised I never heard about it in the news. It's difficult to have a conversation in English there, that is with proper comprehension and syntax.

London seemed to be mostly full of foreign tourists, although they all seemed to have booked mostly into normal homes, rather than hotels and B&Bs. In fact, when I booked a B&B for a friend's funeral, even the B&B owner was a tourist from some hot country.

Is it just London that's full of tourists? Are they coming to see the Queen?

Must admit London does seem to be full of strange talking people. Quote "Apples and Stairs, Whistle and flute""

:)

Top of "the21" is OK but near a noisy road and in a public space, just carry on under the road bridge ahead to find the secure CRT yard on the left, followed by less populated towpath moorings, also on the left and secure, isolated moorings under the elevated road on the right.

That's what I like to see, don't go near a place as about 20 years ago it was dodgy.

Posted Today, 04:13 PM

On Friday night we moored almost opposite Oxley Marine close to Autherley Junction. We have stopped there before. We were waiting for work to be done by Oxley (good chaps btw) and also to take a bus/train trip to return said girls to parents on the Saturday.

In the morning we discovered that my mobile phone was missing and realised that so was the laptop. On trying to look outside the boat I discovered that a spare padlock that was in the back semi-trad area had been hooked over the back doors such that I could not get out and had to use the doors at the other end.

That was the point when it dawned that we had been burgled as we were asleep along with two small grandchildren who were staying with us for a few days. The rear doors were bolted on the inside before we went to bed.

If anyone is offered a dodgy SONY or a White Laptop, do let me know - and secure the miscreant to your mooring whilst doing so! Even better, hand them over to the chaps in blue (who, whilst they will probably have no resources to do much about it, responded very quickly to my emergency call)

The real annoyance is that all of the photos from the past three weeks were on the laptop and we had especially cruised along certain lengths because I do not have pictures of those in my library. Furthermore, it was a bright sunny day for those sections! That's why I would really want the laptop back.

Sad to say, it has signs that it was someone with boating experience wot dun it (unusual I suspect) For the greater part I find that boaters respect boaters whatever they might think of the rest of the world. So doubly sad. :Laptop was password protected and phone was quickly disabled so only of use to someone with illegal techniques to access.

Posted Today, 04:13 PM

On Friday night we moored almost opposite Oxley Marine close to Autherley Junction. We have stopped there before. We were waiting for work to be done by Oxley (good chaps btw) and also to take a bus/train trip to return said girls to parents on the Saturday.

In the morning we discovered that my mobile phone was missing and realised that so was the laptop. On trying to look outside the boat I discovered that a spare padlock that was in the back semi-trad area had been hooked over the back doors such that I could not get out and had to use the doors at the other end.

That was the point when it dawned that we had been burgled as we were asleep along with two small grandchildren who were staying with us for a few days. The rear doors were bolted on the inside before we went to bed.

If anyone is offered a dodgy SONY or a White Laptop, do let me know - and secure the miscreant to your mooring whilst doing so! Even better, hand them over to the chaps in blue (who, whilst they will probably have no resources to do much about it, responded very quickly to my emergency call)

The real annoyance is that all of the photos from the past three weeks were on the laptop and we had especially cruised along certain lengths because I do not have pictures of those in my library. Furthermore, it was a bright sunny day for those sections! That's why I would really want the laptop back.

Sad to say, it has signs that it was someone with boating experience wot dun it (unusual I suspect) For the greater part I find that boaters respect boaters whatever they might think of the rest of the world. So doubly sad. :Laptop was password protected and phone was quickly disabled so only of use to someone with illegal techniques to access.

Very unsporting behaviour indeed. I'm for putting them against the wall.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We have just come up the Wolverhampton 21 on Sunday 17th April and moored after the bridge on the opposite side with 2 other boats. Thought we were safe as no-one can access the boats by path but unfortunately at 11:30 (pub kicking out time) we had two bricks thrown at the boat. They were aiming for the windows but thankfully missed. On opening the centre doors the hooded vandals ran off.

Sort of ruined a lovely day. The other 2 boats had no bother but we were the last on the line closest to the bridge. My advice, if you have the time and strength, is to go on to the Black Country Museum moorings. Had a great peaceful night there with no trouble at all.

Hi,

We have just come up the Wolverhampton 21 on Sunday 17th April and moored after the bridge on the opposite side with 2 other boats. Thought we were safe as no-one can access the boats by path but unfortunately at 11:30 (pub kicking out time) we had two bricks thrown at the boat. They were aiming for the windows but thankfully missed. On opening the centre doors the hooded vandals ran off.

Sort of ruined a lovely day. The other 2 boats had no bother but we were the last on the line closest to the bridge. My advice, if you have the time and strength, is to go on to the Black Country Museum moorings. Had a great peaceful night there with no trouble at all.

Not nice at all. If it helps, you were unluckily in the wrong place at the wrong time and having had it happen to you, you've had your turn and so shouldn't get another turn for a long time! But I do hope you reported it to the police. Even if they can't do much they might increase patrols etc in future. Or to put it another way, if you don't report it then certainly they can't do anything to improve the situation.

That's really horrid, but it can happen anywhere and unless its part of a trend is not a reason not to go to Wolverhampton.

Do report it because if it is a trend then the police need to know.

After 10 years of canal boating we have had 5 items stolen from the boat roof, I realise this partly reflects where we spend more time but anyway.....

Bradford on Avon K&A one theft

West Mills (Newbury K&A) two thefts

Hungerford (ultimate genteel town on K&A) two thefts.

We have spent a fair bit of time in both Manchester and the Birmingham area and had nothing stolen, though have been let loose in B'ham a couple of times. Had an attempted stoning near Liverpool but managed to diffuse it.

................Dave

Not nice at all. If it helps, you were unluckily in the wrong place at the wrong time and having had it happen to you, you've had your turn and so shouldn't get another turn for a long time! But I do hope you reported it to the police. Even if they can't do much they might increase patrols etc in future. Or to put it another way, if you don't report it then certainly they can't do anything to improve the situation.

That's really horrid, but it can happen anywhere and unless its part of a trend is not a reason not to go to Wolverhampton.

Do report it because if it is a trend then the police need to know.

After 10 years of canal boating we have had 5 items stolen from the boat roof, I realise this partly reflects where we spend more time but anyway.....

Bradford on Avon K&A one theft

West Mills (Newbury K&A) two thefts

Hungerford (ultimate genteel town on K&A) two thefts.

We have spent a fair bit of time in both Manchester and the Birmingham area and had nothing stolen, though have been let loose in B'ham a couple of times. Had an attempted stoning near Liverpool but managed to diffuse it.

................Dave

Hi and thanks for your wishes and concerns. We did report it to both the Police and the CRT as when we sailed the next day, there were a nice a pile of bricks stacked up in the tunnel. Steady source of ammunition for the tone throwers.

We later moored in Birmingham and dreaded any trouble but since then we have been trouble free. Hopefully as you say, a one off, and it certainly won't put us off as we will not be beaten that way. Thanks again as it's our first season sailing so everything is new to us.......including the Forum. ha ha

• 4 months later...

Not sure if it is allowed, but we have stopped over night between lock 17 and 16, This would let you do the flight in 2 stages if you wished.

This is asking for trouble in my view, the only time we have had any grief on the 21 was when we foolishly moored 4 locks from the bottom. Why on earth would you need to stop during the no more than 2 hours it takes to do the flight. We stopped when we caught up with some, already moored, friends.

Not sure if it is allowed, but we have stopped over night between lock 17 and 16, This would let you do the flight in 2 stages if you wished.

This is asking for trouble in my view, the only time we have had any grief on the 21 was when we foolishly moored 4 locks from the bottom. Why on earth would you need to stop during the no more than 2 hours it takes to do the flight. We stopped when we caught up with some, already moored, friends.