Winter mooring time extension

john6767

Featured Posts

As I understand in many 48hr etc moorings reverted to 14 day over the winter which is until 31 March. All in can find on the CRT web site is the general principle not the detail of which specific mooring sites that will be 14 day over Easter week. It says it is signed at the sites, but that does not really help with planning.

Specifically I would like to stop in Coventry basin for 4 nights Easter week. It is normally 48hr, so how do I find out if it is part of the 14 day until March 31 scheme?

I think winter moorings finished this year at end of February

I think John is referring to the relaxation of 24/48 hour moorings to 14 days which lasts until end of march, as opposed to winter moorings which did finish at the end of Feb.

Ah OK I thought they went in tandem but I guess cart shortening winters did not allow for that.

Meteorological winter is defined as November to February so as far as that is concerned we are now in Spring. We shall in a few days be in Astrological Spring too.

At best, there are only moorings for 4 boats!

The hire fleet have the rest and a month ago two constant moorers as well!! .

But, always remember that there are moorings by the water points outside the basin which i think are 7 days, i have heard of no problems in or around the basin!

As an addition, there may look to be moorings outside the shops in the basin, but if you moor there, you will be stopping others, especially bigger boats from winding!

Nipper

At best, there are only moorings for 4 boats!

The hire fleet have the rest and a month ago two constant moorers as well!! .

But, always remember that there are moorings by the water points outside the basin which i think are 7 days, i have heard of no problems in or around the basin!

As an addition, there may look to be moorings outside the shops in the basin, but if you moor there, you will be stopping others, especially bigger boats from winding!

Nipper

Have been there before so understand there is not much space but last Easter over night we were to only boat there other than the one from the hire fleet. Perhaps the 14 day limit means it will be fuller. I will get Sally to have a walk over in her lunch break and see how full it is next week. Just not certain it is 14 day or 48hr, and Sally who works in the centre of Cov has a busy week Easter week so we would need the be there Mon to Thurs, so 48hr is no good on this occasion.

It is 14 day over the winter unless the restricting signage says "all year round". I'm pretty sure it doesn't say that at Coventry basin.

Thanks, that is what I thought, just it does not seem possible to find out for certain.

Off the CRT site.

Is this what you're looking for? (My highlighting)

Short term moorings

This is any mooring which is not designated as a long term site. The default maximum period that you can stay in the same place along the towpath is 14 days. Look out for signs that give more information, such as shorter permitted stay times, particularly at popular places.

During the winter period (1 November – 31 March) most short-stay moorings will relax to 14 day maximum stay unless there is a clear safety or customer need to provide otherwise. If the short-stay mooring is in place all year then it will be clearly signed. If it is not indicated on site then the mooring is 14 days by default during the winter.

Edited by Klanky

Off the CRT site.

Is this what you're looking for? (My highlighting)

Short term moorings

This is any mooring which is not designated as a long term site. The default maximum period that you can stay in the same place along the towpath is 14 days. Look out for signs that give more information, such as shorter permitted stay times, particularly at popular places.

During the winter period (1 November – 31 March) most short-stay moorings will relax to 14 day maximum stay unless there is a clear safety or customer need to provide otherwise. If the short-stay mooring is in place all year then it will be clearly signed. If it is not indicated on site then the mooring is 14 days by default during the winter.

That is all I could find too, hence the question. Saying "most" is very helpful at all, you want to know which are and which are not, or how can you make a plan. If the ones that stay short term are in the minority, I would have expected there to be a list of the sites that are the exception, but not been able to find it.

That is all I could find too, hence the question. Saying "most" is very helpful at all, you want to know which are and which are not, or how can you make a plan. If the ones that stay short term are in the minority, I would have expected there to be a list of the sites that are the exception, but not been able to find it.

Fair comment, although given the lack of info regarding exceptions, I'd hope that any CRT bod would respond positively to a polite reference to a printed version of what's on their own site.

Mind you, it's easy for me to say as I'm not the one that's going to be stood there on the towpath arguing the toss with 'Authority' or some boater enraged by the fact that you've 'overstayed' and pished on his personal bonfire. biggrin.png

Just to round this off, CRT have confirmed by email that Coventry basin is 14 days upto 31 March, and then it reverts to the normal 2 days. They did say 2 days as well not 48hr, although I an both sure I understand the subtle distinction, I guess 2 days can be longer then 48hrs.

Meteorological winter is defined as November to February so as far as that is concerned we are now in Spring. We shall in a few days be in Astrological Spring too.

This seems unlikely as it means one of the other seasons must last only two months.

I haven't seen any vm's which aren't included in the 14 day winter scheme. I'm guessing they must be rare. CRT ought to provide a list.

Most of the central London ones, unsurprisingly.

They did say 2 days as well not 48hr, although I an both sure I understand the subtle distinction, I guess 2 days can be longer then 48hrs.

Well in the case of the SEVM initiative 2 days actually means 2 nights, and you can arrive at any point during the day before night 1, and leave at any point during the day after night 2, without incurring the charge.

So, yes, there is a subtle distinction, that you have guessed correctly.

My personal scheme of the seasons bears some similarity to CART's:

Winter: November - March.

Spring: April - May

Summer: June - September

Autumn: October

in your world maybe, but I think most of us thing eah is 3 months.

Or was your post lacking a tongue in cheek "smiley"?

Never mind, you'll get the hang of the seasons eventually.

I'm not convinced!

in your world maybe, but I think most of us thing eah is 3 months.

Or was your post lacking a tongue in cheek "smiley"?

In some parts of the world, there are two seasons - wet and dry. There is nothing sacred about four seasons, and the idea that they should all be of the same length has no basis in fact or logic.

My scheme recognises the two extremes - hot and cold - and allows albeit grudgingly for the spacers between them - spring and autumn. Really, they relate to what clothes you need to wear and whether you have to turn the heating on.

It seems to me that on this point at least, CART have got it right.

Spring - March, April, May

Summer - June, July, August

Autumn - September, October, November

Winter - December, January, February.

You can't have Autumn as just October. If that were so, we wouldn't call it Autumn. We'd just call it October.

The leaves start turning in September generally, along with Autumn fruit ripening (hips, haws, sloes). The leaf fall finishes by end of November usually.

In winter, most plants are dormant.

Spring is when the bulbs come through. March daffs, April tulips, May bluebells. And the broadleaf trees leaf-up.

Summer can be divided into early, high and late to match the three months. It's when plant growth is at its maximum.

The seasons are really related to the cycle of nature.

In some parts of the world, there are two seasons - wet and dry. There is nothing sacred about four seasons, and the idea that they should all be of the same length has no basis in fact or logic.

My scheme recognises the two extremes - hot and cold - and allows albeit grudgingly for the spacers between them - spring and autumn. Really, they relate to what clothes you need to wear and whether you have to turn the heating on.

It seems to me that on this point at least, CART have got it right.

You seem to be confusing seasons with weather.