Mooring at Aylesbury?

Top cat

Featured Posts

I seem to recall that mooring for visitors to Aylesbury has been either non existent or very limited in the past. Is that still the case? I'm only planing to stay overnight but would hate to go down all those locks only to find nowhere to stay.

Top Cat

Anyone knows who owns the pontoon moorings on the right at the end, The gate doesn't use a CRT key of didn't when I was there last summer, also they had chopped off all the mooring rings on the right due to someone tripping over them.

Anyone knows who owns the pontoon moorings on the right at the end, The gate doesn't use a CRT key of didn't when I was there last summer, also they had chopped off all the mooring rings on the right due to someone tripping over them.

But when we were there in February last year the gate was never locked. The word at the time was that it would become permanent moorings. I see to recall that there were water pipes and power cables exiting service ducts just by the gate, and along the canalside where the rings have been removed.

Edited by pearley

But when we were there in February last year the gate was never locked. The word at the time was that it would become permanent moorings. I see to recall that there were water pipes and power cables exiting service ducts just by the gate, and along the canalside where the rings have been removed.

The word at the time was wrong. The pontoons are definitely intended to be short stay moorings.

There was a suggestion that they would be fully serviced with water and electric, and certainly the previous South East Waterways manager was keen that a charge was levied for such premium moorings, which I argued very strongly against.

AFAIK they hit problems with the services, and they are not there yet, but I haven't been there in a while, so I'm happy to be corrected if something has happened on that front.

As has already been said the Aylesbury Canal Society will still host visitors as they always used to when they controlled the basin, but that would now be at their excellent new facilities at Circus Fields

I saw a young girl trip over one and go under there. Distressing for the mother until she was hauled out by a bystander. The rings we cemented in the vertical position.

Edited by mark99

Had a walk along the canal there a couple of weeks ago. The pontoon moorings in the small basin are visitor moorings. The 6 linear ones that have newly come on stream are long term leisure, but with the possibility of 3 becoming residential, if there is sufficient interest! Love this idea, only one person wants a residential mooring, so will that not be 'sufficient interest'?. Perhaps they are thinking security and want three boats for safety. Ironic that they evicted the residential boats that were there! No car-parking offered though.