Crew wanted - Warks Avon to Northampton GU (long way around)

blackrose

Featured Posts

Crew wanted for widebeam moving downstream on the Warks Avon to Tewkesbury, Severn to Gloucester, G&S to Sharpness and then across the Bristol channel to Portishead (with a pilot). Then up to Bristol, Bath, K&A to Reading, down the Thames to Brentford and up the GU to Northampton area.

http://www.waterwaysworld.com/images/widebeam_map.png

Thinking of leaving Bidford on Avon on Thursday 17th March.

Edited by blackrose

Although because of prior commitments I can't do the whole trip, but I can do a couple of weeks if it helps. I am experienced in wide beam boats and my home waters include the tidal Thames and Grand Union.

Ian.

Thanks Ian, I think I sent you a text if I got the number right.

Hi blackrose, I would be happy to accompany you on the Portishead to Bristol leg.

That would be nice Rob. The pilot will be leaving at Portishead and taking the boat back out there on my own even for that short trip isn't something I'd look forward to.

I will PM you with my number

Mike

I'm available for 2nd to 10th April if that helps. I'm guessing that by then, depending perhaps on when you can get the pilot, you would either be at your destination or well along the way, so we're probably looking at the GU really. I've never been on a widebeam, but should be able to make myself useful as I'm reasonably experienced at operating locks. I'll PM you with my phone number.

I'm available for 2nd to 10th April if that helps. I'm guessing that by then, depending perhaps on when you can get the pilot, you would either be at your destination or well along the way, so we're probably looking at the GU really. I've never been on a widebeam, but should be able to make myself useful as I'm reasonably experienced at operating locks. I'll PM you with my phone number.

Thanks Peter - PMd

Have a good trip, sorry I can't help. I look forward to seeing you on the Fens. I expect you know it's horrible over here.

Canalplan tries quite hard if you plan Tewkesbury to Peterborough not via narrow canals, with 13 increasingly desperate alternatives, but of course ultimately fails to find a route ....

Have a good trip, sorry I can't help. I look forward to seeing you on the Fens. I expect you know it's horrible over here.

Canalplan tries quite hard if you plan Tewkesbury to Peterborough not via narrow canals, with 13 increasingly desperate alternatives, but of course ultimately fails to find a route ....

If I find a mooring on the Nene I'll still have to get the boat lifted, but the plan is to move to the Northampton area on the GU for now.

If I find a mooring on the Nene I'll still have to get the boat lifted, but the plan is to move to the Northampton area on the GU for now.

I was going to say you do realise the Northampton arm is narrow gauge, but I guess you do! Anyway sounds like a great trip.

Moorings for a wide beam at Billing are 2330 per year with 12 month liveaboard occupancy.

Regards

Dan

Thanks - any idea about availability? I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I was going to say you do realise the Northampton arm is narrow gauge, but I guess you do! Anyway sounds like a great trip.

Right now I feel like moving, but I'm sure if the weather turns shite again it won't seem so appealing!