slide

Featured Posts

I need to make a new slide hatch for the back doors, I have two 50 mm angles as rails. What kind of design for the bearing surfaces to get an easy to open low friction steel slide ?

Low friction plastic ?

Bearing units ?

Brass on brass ?

I might put a double glazed window unit in it to get some light through as well.

if you need some Polypropylene strips i have loads of 20mm, 9mm, 6mm, 4.5mm, 3mm and maybe some 2mm Thickness (Free) which would make good runners - i used to supply it to a local boat builder for this reason. i have any size needed some Black, white, natural and beige.

Edited by the barnacle
  • Greenie 1

Industry standard for sliding surfaces is 'Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene' UHMWP available as tape or sheet loads of choice on fleabay.

Only put it on one surface as face to face it forms a NON slip surface.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UHMW-Self-Lubricating-Anti-Friction-Squeak-Non-Stick-Tape-25mm-X-1metre-/181231348122?hash=item2a323ae99a:g:OH0AAOSwuYVWpjjm

I've just ordered some of this tape. At just £3.99 it may help our very heavy hatch slide more easily. Will fit it next week and let you know.

Its very good lasts a couple of years before the glue gives up on it. Quite amusing when guests who are used to heavy slides find they have just shot mine down the roof of the boat! Not cheap but well worth it.

I've just ordered some of this tape. At just £3.99 it may help our very heavy hatch slide more easily. Will fit it next week and let you know.

Got some too. Thanks for the link.

Our rear slide is always an absolute pain to close from inside the boatman's cabin. Weighs a ton and is a bit sticky.

Do you just stick the tape onto the brass runners?

On mine I have it on the underside of the slide and under the slide runner as well. MOST IMPORTANT only have it on one surface face to face it will not slide. You can guess how I found this out!

Yesterday because of this thread I wondered down to the stores to purloin a roll to replace mine only to find they have non but did have 600 x 1200 x 3mm thick sheets of the stuff so I have chopped it into strips and will drill and countersink it and screw it on.

Edited by Leisure boater

On mine I have it on the underside of the slide and under the slide runner as well. MOST IMPORTANT only have it on one surface face to face it will not slide. You can guess how I found this out!

Yesterday because of this thread I wondered down to the stores to purloin a roll to replace mine only to find they have non but did have 600 x 1200 x 3mm thick sheets of the stuff so I have chopped it into strips and will drill and countersink it and screw it on.

Thanks, I will investigate this.