Galvanic Isolators -- any use or just made up sales hype ?

RufusR

Featured Posts

As per title

Saw a advert in Towpath talk claiming if your boat is connected to shore line for long periods without one of these , at the very least your anodes corrode quicky and at worst your boat will corrode away .

seems a bit dramatic and I have never heard anyone say they have one of these so what do you say

scaremongering sales hype or is there something in this ?

Galvanic Isolators do work, there is no magic or snake oil involved. The question is whether they need to work and the answer is it depends. It depends on something you have no control over which is the voltage on the shore line bollard's Earth vs the local voltage in the water around the boat which may or may not be influenced by other boats in the vicinity.

So first point, a GI only does something when you are plugged into shore power. If you are never, or hardly ever, plugged into shore power you don't need a GI.

If you are routinely plugged into shore power then I would say a GI or an Isolation Transformer is a must, because you never know what might happen to the voltages I mentioned and you don't want the first indication of a problem to be extensive and deep pitting on your expensive hull.

Edited by nicknorman

lol now I feel like a numpty .. feel free to laugh and point at me while muttering amongst yourselves what a muppet I am .. I just checked the wiring diagram for the boat and there it is .. Gavanic Isolator .. dug around in the cupboard at the back and yep I got one already lol ..

be gentle on me lol

lol now I feel like a numpty .. feel free to laugh and point at me while muttering amongst yourselves what a muppet I am .. I just checked the wiring diagram for the boat and there it is .. Gavanic Isolator .. dug around in the cupboard at the back and yep I got one already lol ..

be gentle on me lol

Not to worry, part of the purpose of the forum is to learn stuff and you just did - that you have a GI! Job done.

be gentle on me lol

Like someone said a while back, the only stupid question is the one you should have asked but didn't.

be gentle on me lol

Now you found it, it would be worth testing it as they often fail. I'll see if I can dig up the thread on how to do so.

But the comment was they often fail. So if not one tests them how do you know they often fail. Has anyone on the forum ever reported one failing .

It was in another thread from someone who used to test them. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit to add link - http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=76834

Edited by Robbo