Marinas on the River Medway

mustang41

Featured Posts

Hello all,newbie here,so apologies in advance if I ask daft questions!

Briefly,following relationship breakup and house sale I'm going down the boat route.Something I've wanted to do for years! I'm aware of and prepared for the different lifestyle...toilet,water,maintenance etc and feel I can cope.

As I have a full time job I need a permanent mooring in the River Medway area. The ones I know of are Cuxton,Port Medway,Medway Bridge, Port Werburgh. Also not on the Medway but Conyers Creek.

If anyone has any experience good or bad of living at any of these the feedback would be really helpful .I don't have a boat yet... mooring first right?

Any tips would be gratefully received and I'm sure I'll be back with some dumb new boater questions!

Regards

Steve

Also I believe Faversham (Iron Wharf ??? IIRC)

Used to know someone with a Barge at Medway Bridge and they were happy there and rated it highly.

I did look at a mooring at Cuxton a few years ago but thought it a bit pricey .....but you couldn't get closer to a rail station smile.png

Researching for a convoy to the Medway later this year, we have so far found the following. Mainly we are looking for short term moorings, but may still be useful ...

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Rochester CC are a good bunch, but they don't have any NBs or any Dutch Barges AFAIK. It's mostly cruisers of one size or another.

Members are encouraged / obliged to help with general club duties - not a bad thing.

It's a club after all (and not a marina).

MDL are a good outfit (well they are on the Thames) and may be relaxed about 'you being on the boat much of the time'...

Thanks very much ... useful tips ! I hadn't thought of Queenborough before,or MDL at Chatham. I will investigate!

Ironically Cuxton is where I live at the moment so would be nice to be local to that-as you say close to the station as is Port Medway next door.

In people's experience is it better to pone a marina when enquiring or turn up in person ?

Thanks

Steve

In people's experience is it better to pone a marina when enquiring or turn up in person ?

Turn up, definitely.

When we were looking for a marina we phoned and were told 'sorry no vacancies at present'. We drive over a few days later just to get a better look. We got on great with the owner and she said 'Actually, we could fit you in over there...'

Tony

Port Medway is as Expensive as Cuxton. Hoo is also expensive but they all accept livaboards, some, such as Gillingham and Chatham do not. (officially)

Queenborough you will be moored on Trots and again im not aware of them allowing livaboards so it would depend on what you tell them.

The cheapest Trots are run by Medway Ports Authority and are situated on the river outside Hoo and opposite St Marys Island.

Hello all,newbie here,so apologies in advance if I ask daft questions!

Briefly,following relationship breakup and house sale I'm going down the boat route.Something I've wanted to do for years! I'm aware of and prepared for the different lifestyle...toilet,water,maintenance etc and feel I can cope.

As I have a full time job I need a permanent mooring in the River Medway area. The ones I know of are Cuxton,Port Medway,Medway Bridge, Port Werburgh. Also not on the Medway but Conyers Creek.

If anyone has any experience good or bad of living at any of these the feedback would be really helpful .I don't have a boat yet... mooring first right?

Any tips would be gratefully received and I'm sure I'll be back with some dumb new boater questions!

Regards

Steve

Umm - what sort of boat is it / likely to be. You may think that's a dumb question - this being a narrow boat forum.....

Many of the moorings suggested here on the Mudway are not at all suitable for narrowboat types of craft / those with low freeboard.

Above Allington lock it's more of a canalised river - so great for NBs

Umm - what sort of boat is it / likely to be. You may think that's a dumb question - this being a narrow boat forum.....

Many of the moorings suggested here on the Mudway are not at all suitable for narrowboat types of craft / those with low freeboard.

Above Allington lock it's more of a canalised river - so great for NBs

Narrow boat forum, since when?

Keith

• Greenie 1

Thanks very much ... useful tips ! I hadn't thought of Queenborough before,or MDL at Chatham. I will investigate!

Ironically Cuxton is where I live at the moment so would be nice to be local to that-as you say close to the station as is Port Medway next door.

Thanks

Steve

Always pone them.