Domestic Batteries

Featured Posts

Thanks all,

For clarity, my existing batteries are 4 plus years old so there is nothing seemingly wrong with my maintenance regime. They are wet cell batteries and not sealed. By two seasons i man a couple of years - I would expect more but if a couple of batts only cost £120 then I certainly would not gripe if they fell over after a couple of years (although I would not expect it). I have a 50 amp alternator, 120w solar and an Electroquest 30 amp charger. The boat is not plugged into shore power. We are not livaboards.

I have contacted Ely Marine and will also consider Tanya and Battery Megastore.

Thanks for the input.

I would not be convinced that one is sealed from the photo. I strongly suspect a screwdriver in the vent holes or close by may well lever the whole "back" section of the top off to reveal the cells.

However to be sure I would want to look at one in the flesh.

Nor would I, but as you say, the OP has to buy them first to find out.

I have been looking on the net for batteries too, and very few if any state 'open cell' or show removable caps for checking SG.

Most of the photos suggest they have sealed tops despite being ordinary wet cells. I suspect preventing users fiddling with the electrolyte leads to fewer technical queries, and uneductated buyers possibly prefer to see no caps as they perceive the battery to be 'safer' as they think the contents cannot escape.

Thanks all,

For clarity, my existing batteries are 4 plus years old so there is nothing seemingly wrong with my maintenance regime. They are wet cell batteries and not sealed. By two seasons i man a couple of years - I would expect more but if a couple of batts only cost £120 then I certainly would not gripe if they fell over after a couple of years (although I would not expect it). I have a 50 amp alternator, 120w solar and an Electroquest 30 amp charger. The boat is not plugged into shore power. We are not livaboards.

I have contacted Ely Marine and will also consider Tanya and Battery Megastore.

Thanks for the input.

As you have wet cells try to replace them with wet cells, sometimes shown on sites as unsealed.

The £67 pound one are listed as sealed but a quick call to Advance and they will tell you if you can in fact add water etc.

However the https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/abs-110-ampere/#tab-descriptionare unseal and straight wets but at £75. I think they are what I normally have and my last set are about 4 years old

Edited by Graham.m

Mostly true but a rather sweeping statement as to how long they will last. The op mentions a couple of seasons? Now I dont have a clue what a season is? but my useage is 24/7 365 and that means they are cycled generaly 365 times a year ...

Indeed, and obviously it is use/abuse dependant. However he does also say he is not a liveaboard.

How does what he has effect what he buys, other than space available.

He could have chargers set up for sealed/agm batteries some of which can require different charge routines, although most are set up for wet, hence its more common to have an issue with overcharging sealed batteries than the other way round.

Daniel

For BSS purposes the batteries need to be properly retained, so getting something that fits the battery box will save money on in situ welding.

Fair point although the run of the mill nominal 110 Ah leisure batteries generally have a similar footprint to within a few millimetres. Some of the slightly higher capacity ones are maybe a little taller though.

Another point in the ease of replacement stakes is matching battery connections to those of the existing set. Typically either tapered round or 8mm stud - some have both.

For BSS purposes the batteries need to be properly retained, so getting something that fits the battery box will save money on in situ welding.

air point although the run of the mill nominal 110 Ah leisure batteries generally have a similar footprint to within a few millimetres. Some of the slightly higher capacity ones are maybe a little taller though.

Another point in the ease of replacement stakes is matching battery connections to those of the existing set. Typically either tapered round or 8mm stud - some have both.

In my experience most BSS inspectors are also fairly reasonable, so as long as they are not to physically large to fit in the given space, as long as they are retained well enough that they cannot pull on their cables or fall over sideways I wouldnt not expect a problem.

Daniel

Oh yeah.

:::mumbles about bloody pedants:::

It could be important. A poor, electrically-challenged old person might, as a result of slouching in front of this forum, try and google 'Tanya' and come up with diddly squat.

He'd then be back here saying 'What ever did WotEver mean by that?'

ETA: Wouldn't he?

Edited by Loafer

Quite possibly. But in the mean time he'd probably be quite happy looking at the pictures of pretty Tanya Burr, Vlogger, who was the top hit when I Googled Tanya wink.png

I don't believe it! I did that too, and came up with the same stuff!

It could be important. A poor, electrically-challenged old person might, as a result of slouching in front of this forum, try and google 'Tanya' and come up with diddly squat.

He'd then be back here saying 'What ever did WotEver mean by that?'

ETA: Wouldn't he?

As I fit that description I tried it and this is what happened.

post-261-0-63578000-1453568993_thumb.jpg

As I fit that description I tried it and this is what happened.

That's because you were clever enough to include the word 'batteries' in your search.

So you don't quite fit the description. You are actually quite wise and normal.

O I love you XXXXcloud9.gif

Woah, steady there dc. I don't think you could afford me!

But if you Google for Tanya you get a pretty girl instead smile.png

It has often been the reason I never learned much from the internet. Often there appears a pretty girl, and then that's it. Utter distraction.

I married one of them. Best bit of internet shopping I ever did.

Just bought from Tayna, have yet to arrive expecting them Monday.

I've bought batteries twice now from Tayna and have been very pleased with the delivery and other service. If buying multiple batteries, they're open to discussion on prices. I seem to remember getting free delivery when I bought the 12 XV31MF batteries to power our boat.

Edited by Hairy Animal

This being a family friendly site I have deleted my original reply wink.png

It's NOT a family site. It's a site designed to be ABLE to be a family site. It's mostly for sad old tossers like me, who likes to fuss over electrics, or the avidly anti-CRT whingers!

Hands up anyone reading this, who is under 18!

It's NOT a family site. It's a site designed to be ABLE to be a family site. It's mostly for sad old tossers like me, who likes to fuss over electrics, or the avidly anti-CRT whingers!

Hands up anyone reading this, who is under 18!

I wonder what happened to that nice young lady that use to post here?