battery monitoring

destinyjon

Featured Posts

Mrs Loafer once commented, on our previous boat, during a rare 4-month stay in a coastal marina with shore power, that the ammeter (BMV600) showed all zeros.

'Why is has it been zero amps for the last few weeks Hon?' she asks.

'That's because they're fully charged, sweetie'

Or words to that effect.

I reckon that represented 100% Soc, for once. Just guessin'.

Mrs Loafer once commented, on our previous boat, during a rare 4-month stay in a coastal marina with shore power, that the ammeter (BMV600) showed all zeros.

'Why is has it been zero amps for the last few weeks Hon?' she asks.

'That's because they're fully charged, sweetie'

Or words to that effect.

I reckon that represented 100% Soc, for once. Just guessin'.

I'm surprised you reached 0.0 amps. Batteries have a small self discharge current, that increases with temperature. It can reach 4% of capacity with knackered batteries.

I'm surprised you reached 0.0 amps. Batteries have a small self discharge current, that increases with temperature. It can reach 4% of capacity with knackered batteries.

Once the charger goes to float with fully charged batteries the current goes to less than 0.1A on our batteries (ie it shows 0.0). If they were knackered, maybe not but they aren't!

Once the charger goes to float with fully charged batteries the current goes to less than 0.1A on our batteries (ie it shows 0.0). If they were knackered, maybe not but they aren't!

In fact its quite common to see a reverse current from batteries when charger flips from absorb mode to float, as external loads slowly pull the surface charge off the plates to bring voltage down to much lower float.

Edited by by'eck

My 8 year old Lifelines have never got to 0.0 amps, despite being on float when not cruising. Usually maxes out at 0.1 - 0.2 amps.

A proper discharge test soon after I got the boat showed they had over 70% of original capacity available. Mind you it is a 660ah battery, so any self discharge will be correspondingly larger.

My 8 year old Lifelines have never got to 0.0 amps, despite being on float when not cruising. Usually maxes out at 0.1 - 0.2 amps.

A proper discharge test soon after I got the boat showed they had over 70% of original capacity available. Mind you it is a 660ah battery, so any self discharge will be correspondingly larger.

In my opinion, there isn't a better battery than those Lifeline AGMs. Eye-watering prices, or reassuringly expensive, depending on your annual income.

I was surprised too, although it did take a month to achieve it. Lifeline AGMs, and what an excellent bunch of batteries it was.

Isn't 'bunch' a much better collective noun for batteries than 'bank'?

I think so, after just being critically refreshed at the Anchor Inn all afternoon!

In my opinion, there isn't a better battery than those Lifeline AGMs. Eye-watering prices, or reassuringly expensive, depending on your annual income.

Fortunately they were already on the boat when I bought it.

A quick Google shows it will be circa (lovely word circa) £1200 to replace the domestic, starter and bow thruster batteries. Hopefully they won't all fsil at the same time!

Fortunately they were already on the boat when I bought it.

A quick Google shows it will be circa (lovely word circa) £1200 to replace the domestic, starter and bow thruster batteries. Hopefully they won't all fsil at the same time!

I wish you hadn't mentioned a bow thruster battery. I'm afraid I just CANNOT support the use of those things by men, any more than I can condone the use of Porta-Pottys!

• Greenie 1

I said boater told to start charging at voltage X...

What on earth would X be? And under what load?

Sure, an inexperienced boater could take a guess, that's what a lot of them do anyhow.

Or... they could remove the guesswork and start charging at a known SoC by using a SmartGauge. That's what it's for.

Tony

my whispergen went into desulphation mode last night first time i have noticed it. i looked through the manual and it would appear it does it when it senses the need far to clever for me

Very clever :)

Check electrolyte levels when it's finished.

I wish you hadn't mentioned a bow thruster battery. I'm afraid I just CANNOT support the use of those things by men, any more than I can condone the use of Porta-Pottys!

Like the Lifelines it came with the boat. First time I have used one in over 40 years boating. Very handy for long reverses and winding in strong winds.

You should try one sometime :)

Very clever smile.png

Check electrolyte levels when it's finished.

watering system all automatic. the whispergen control panel is in a cupboard so it probably happens more regular than i know, and the whispergen is on a timer as well for morning and night so i am not always around.

watering system all automatic. the whispergen control panel is in a cupboard so it probably happens more regular than i know, and the whispergen is on a timer as well for morning and night so i am not always around.

All sounds pretty perfect :)