battery monitoring

destinyjon

Featured Posts

"Considered fully charged" and "falls to a steady low level", "at a rough guess... 0.5%/hr" etc - I can agree with those but they are not exactly a precise reference one could use to calibrate a gauge against.

C'mon Nick, you know as well as I do that it doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough to ensure the battery is fully charged.

Say Smartgauge is 2% to 5% accurate in reality, is this enough? If so then we don't need an ammeter after all, but if not then we need to look for something better.

Seems to me if you want to make seem batteries over complicated for the beginner, just ask a technically minded Smartgauge owner! :)

cheers, Pete.

smpt

User looks at SmartGauge. SmartGauge reads 50% (or whatever level the user decides). User starts charging.

No alarms, no spurious voltage readings, no calculations. Just a glance at a gauge.

Tony

If your needs are pretty modest, you could just recharge when the batt voltage no longer recovers above 12.20 volts.

I s'pose what makes people happy is having a gadget with a nice easy to read number on it, even if it doesn't guarantee the best performance.

cheers, Pete.

smpt

C'mon Nick, you know as well as I do that it doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough to ensure the battery is fully charged.

Say Smartgauge is 2% to 5% accurate in reality, is this enough? If so then we don't need an ammeter after all, but if not then we need to look for something better.

Seems to me if you want to make seem batteries over complicated for the beginner, just ask a technically minded Smartgauge owner! :)

cheers, Pete.

smpt

I think the real measure is that Nick has a smartgauge but uses another instrument to check when his batteries are fully charged. That they both keep saying tail current should be measured. Heck it either works or it does not.

I s'pose what makes people happy is having a gadget with a nice easy to read number on it, even if it doesn't guarantee the best performance.

Probably so.

No doubt that is why Enersys (the biggest battery manufacturer on the planet), the UK MoD, the US DoD, the UAE MoD, General Dynamics, Dytecna, Thales, BAE systems and NP Aerospace have all tested it, all approved it, and all fit it as standard and no longer even consider any other battery monitor.

Tony

Probably so.

No doubt that is why Enersys (the biggest battery manufacturer on the planet), the UK MoD, the US DoD, the UAE MoD, General Dynamics, Dytecna, Thales, BAE systems and NP Aerospace have all tested it, all approved it, and all fit it as standard and no longer even consider any other battery monitor.

Tony

Hard evidence please that this is the smartgauge as supplied to boaters without any modifications. Edited by Graham.m

Hard evidence please

Nope.

Write and ask them if you don't believe me. You like writing emails it seems. I don't post lies. We've been here before with the email exchange I had with Trojan. I shared it with others just for fun but I don't need to prove myself to you.

Tony

Nope.

Write and ask them if you don't believe me. You like writing emails it seems. I don't post lies. We've been here before with the email exchange I had with Trojan. I shared it with others just for fun but I don't need to prove myself to you.

Tony

Up to you to prove it. I do know the MOD would not use the smartgauge as supplied to boaters.

And the relevance is?

Up to you to prove it. I do know the MOD would not use the smartgauge as supplied to boaters.

We've been here before too. I didn't say it had the same form factor.

Tony

And the relevance is?

We've been here before too. I didn't say it had the same form factor.

Tony

Well the MOD battery monitoring provides the following

Battery state of charge (SoC)

Battery state of health (SoH)

Net charge / discharge (amps)

Ampere hours consumed

Time remaining (hrs/mins)

Temperature

That I afraid is not the smartgauge

Edited by Graham.m

Hard evidence please that this is the smartgauge as supplied to boaters without any modifications.

Oh, I see that you've now edited your original post.

No secret here that it's not the £140 jobbie that's for sale to the marine user. The military unit has a little more in it (basically it's like a SmartGauge with an amps display) but it's still a SmartGuage (well, two Smartgauges) inside.

Tony

Oh, I see that you've now edited your original post.

No secret here that it's not the £140 jobbie that's for sale to the marine user. The military unit has a little more in it (basically it's like a SmartGauge with an amps display) but it's still a SmartGuage (well, two Smartgauges) inside.

Tony

Measuring amphours

No no either it is need or it is not :)

Gone to bed

Sorry but you keep saying most of those things are not needed to monitor a battery and the smartgauge will do it all. Obviously the smartgauge won't.

Well, firstly, I have never said that. I don't believe anyone on this forum has ever suggested it. What we HAVE said (over and over again) is that for the non-technical user a battery 'fuel gauge' is probably the best tool they could fit.

Once again though, with regard to your 'obviously the SmartGauge won't' comment, sadly, you speak about something that you don't understand.

The military unit runs two algorithms side by side, one of which uses a shunt, one of which does not. In military installations it spends over 90% of its time displaying and reporting the one that doesn't use the shunt because of their extremely poor charging regimes. It is effectively SmartGauge with an amps display.

And what have we repeatedly stated is the best partner for a SmartGauge? A cheap ammeter.

Well, firstly, I have never said that. I don't believe anyone on this forum has ever suggested it. What we HAVE said (over and over again) is that for the non-technical user a battery 'fuel gauge' is probably the best tool they could fit.

Once again though, with regard to your 'obviously the SmartGauge won't' comment, sadly, you speak about something that you don't understand.

The military unit runs two algorithms side by side, one of which uses a shunt, one of which does not. In military installations it spends over 90% of its time displaying and reporting the one that doesn't use the shunt because of their extremely poor charging regimes. It is effectively SmartGauge with an amps display.

And what have we repeatedly stated is the best partner for a SmartGauge? A cheap ammeter.

Go away produce hard evidence from the manufacturer if you can't then ...

Sorry, I don't understand this post.

Try reading it particularly the second line.

No, if what you want is a two letter answer.

Will we ever get another useful thread on battery charging?

I don't think so DC. Nick and I did quite well earlier, put our cases but now when it is all done with this happens. I notice Nick has no part in it.

Good night I am off to bed

Will we ever get another useful thread on battery charging?

It's sad, isn't it? I was agreeing with Pete about the usefulness of SmartGauge and why the military all use it and Graham has to drag it into another 20 post argument.

Tony.

It's sad, isn't it? I was agreeing with Pete about the usefulness of SmartGauge and why the military all use it and Graham has to drag it into another 20 post argument.

Tony.

Just prove the statements with manufacturers direct data. The military do not use the smartgauge.

Sorry, otherwise engaged this evening. Just to mention that what Tony says about the applications / customers of Smartgauge (not necessarily in the same form factor) and the fact that the combined Smartgauge with shunt actually uses the Smartgauge algorithm 90%'of the time, is pretty much verbatim what the designer of the system told us.

Sorry, otherwise engaged this evening. Just to mention that what Tony says about the applications / customers of Smartgauge (not necessarily in the same form factor) and the fact that the combined Smartgauge with shunt actually uses the Smartgauge algorithm 90%'of the time, is pretty much verbatim what the designer of the system told us.

Thanks for the confirmation, Nick. It was, as you're aware, a cut-n-paste.

Tony