Valuing/asking price

pipistrelle

Featured Posts

I've reluctantly concluded that I need to sell my beautiful Baseplate, to start afresh without losing a lot of money on the 'added value' I paid for the mooring. I have no idea how much I should be asking for it. I would be inclined to ask something close to the seller's original asking price (£80,000 - I paid substantially less, but have more than made up the difference on the repairs), but I'd also prefer it goes to someone who will take good care of it.

I had a lot of work done on the boat, including full external repaint (it looks absolutely gorgeous), blacking and new anodes, new windows, a new bathroom and a cratch board & cover. It'll be sold with the right to the mooring, which is in central Oxford, BSC until 2018 and license until August.

Any idea about how to go about valuing? Do I just pick a ballpark figure and let a potential buyer sort that out during a survey?

Edit: I was also going to ask whether it's worth going through a broker and if anyone could recommend one who could sell the boat from its mooring in Oxford.

Edited by pipistrelle

As with anything, you need to decided;

a ) What you are prepared to take for it if it sold.

b ) What its appears to be worth on the open market.

Have a look at other adverts online, compare specs/condition/age and go from there. Don't forget that the adverts will be arranged to sell not to help others value their boats, and as such will appear better than you thing your own boat is. Dont including in the advert that you paid a lot less, if the boats had a lot of work and is now worth more because it it, that price is history and no more relivent now than how much last nights pie and chips cost.

Daniel

Edit: I was also going to ask whether it's worth going through a broker and if anyone could recommend one who could sell the boat from its mooring in Oxford.

Great Haywood boat sales sell boats from their own moorings and will come out and give you a valuation.

Are you selling the boat with the mooring, or just the boat. I imagine that a mooring in Oxford, especially a secure mooring, would add quite a premium compared with the value of the boat alone.

Without knowing the boat, £80k sounds a lot to me for a second hand narrowboat, unless it includes the mooring rights.

Dominic sold out boat Daedalus from our mooring in Berkhamsted. We were very satisfied with the service he provided.

Chris G

Yes thats why I mentioned him. I mentioned Dom because he sold both my last two boats through his brokerage. Both very very quickly like lightning and as it happens both to cash buyers neither who had a time consuming survey I was paid super fast especialy for my widebeam last year.

Widebeams in case any one thinks otherwise sell very very well.

Tim

Are you selling the boat with the mooring, or just the boat. I imagine that a mooring in Oxford, especially a secure mooring, would add quite a premium compared with the value of the boat alone.

Without knowing the boat, £80k sounds a lot to me for a second hand narrowboat, unless it includes the mooring rights.

Yes, the mooring is transferrable. It sounds like a lot to me also, but, ideally, I suppose I'd like not to lose too much money given how much the repairs cost, so something in-between what they were originally asking and what I paid would be great.

Also, I should clarify - by "more than made up the difference", I meant between what I paid and their asking price. I understand that doesn't necessarily add an equivalent amount of value to the boat (the pre-purchase survey suggested that doing certain things would restore the value of the boat compared with how the survey valued it, though). In fact, I'd probably happily settle for much less if the right person was interested, which I think is why I'm struggling. If I hadn't had the boat I'd have been paying Oxford rent and unable to have cats/space to myself/death-defying trips through Braunston Tunnel/dead pigeons falling onto my roof etc.

I suspect the mooring will be of interest to many. Have a good search for boats that have sold in the past few years on the Hythe Bridge Arm. Many of those had transferable moorings, but if I recall no real security of tenure. £80k is certainly the sort of figure I've seen for boats on desireable residential moorings, but unless there was some guarantee on the length of tenure, I think I would be hard pushed to part with cash for a non-guaranteed spot.

I suspect a call round some of the local brokers would give you some idea, ultimately any item for sale is only ever worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

Best of luck with the sale, I've always admired Baseplate when passing.