Cant remember Easter weather being so good

seaandland

Featured Posts

Global Warming;;;;;BRING IT ON. (only joking) :cheers:

Exactly what my Hubbie said today as we were walking the dogs in the New Forest, (shorts and t-shirts at the beginning of April) but wishing we were on the boat!!!!! :cheers:

Oh well only 27 days to go and counting!!!!

Mrs Panda

Exactly what my Hubbie said today as we were walking the dogs in the New Forest, (shorts and t-shirts at the beginning of April) but wishing we were on the boat!!!!! :cheers:

Oh well only 27 days to go and counting!!!!

Mrs Panda

Wonderful weather. Its a pity that Theodora is still a building site!

Nick

How about 1978: Easter was early, 25th March was the Saturday, and it was a warm sunny day. How do I know? I got married that day!

Then there is 1973: I was on a fieldwork project in the easter break in north west Scotland - Walking around in shirt sleeves getting a suntan.

The problem is, every time we get a slightly unseasonal hot/cold/wet/dry etc few days, it is immediately ascribed to global warming without any real evidence. The climate is always varying; a meteorologist once told me that what would be an exceptional month weatherwise would be when there was nothing exceptional happening anywhere.

The Met Office really came out with a stunner recently, they say this summer has a 70% chance of being above average temperature. They have some of the most powerful computers on the planet and they come up with what any sensible person could have told them.

Global warming will probably disrupt the pattern of ocean currents we are accustomed to and result in this country getting colder, not warmer!!

Dick

....oh and Easter 1964...it snowed on the last day of the school holidays while I was out fishing . There's nothing more variable than the weather!

In the early 90s we went camping to Sandringham at Easter with our trailer tent and it's brand new sun awning and a brand new barbecue

Saturday was a lovely day so we got he barbie out and got it going - just after I put the food on to cook the big black clouds that had been building up all afternoon broke and it started to snow like it really meant it

I withdrew under the sun awning and carried on cooking, warming my hands over the fire

Ridiculous but fun

Global warming will probably disrupt the pattern of ocean currents we are accustomed to and result in this country getting colder, not warmer!!

The human race is extremely arrogant if we really believe that we have or can take any responsibility for what happens to our climate. Sure there were and will again be localised 'smogs' caused by industrial polution but the overall temperature is influenced by the Sun - it changes constantly (and may eventually destroy us) yet it is so far away that there is nothing that we can do to influence it.

So why worry?

We should just do our best to preserve the things that we can influence and enjoy or endure those that we can't . . .

....oh and Easter 1964...it snowed on the last day of the school holidays while I was out fishing . There's nothing more variable than the weather!

Indeed and the following Easter I suffered my first ever serious sunburn on the Isle of Wight - memories of steam trains and calamine lotion . . .

Quite amazing, given the vaguaries of our British weather, that it should stay so perfect for a long holiday weekend chugabout. A couple of good morning frosts, but quickly clearing. Traffic on the S&W and lower reaches of the Shroppie wasn't as bad as I expected, although just as we thought we should be clear for our last 3 or 4 miles and last 3 or 4 locks to home yesterday late afternoon / early evening, that's when we met the most. It was nice to find some of the longer stretches of in-line moorings fairly empty, showing that some of the boats which never seem to move (and you sometimes wonder whether they even have engines) do go out from time to time.

I dread to think what the roads must have been like, but it was excellent out on the water. Longest wait at a lock was about 45 minutes (and that only twice in 4 days), but where else can you crack a beer and enjoy a traffic jam?

I spent most of the weekend hanging upside over the engine wrestling with a recalcitrant oil filter which seemed to be deliberately placed in the most inaccessible spot possible.......... :cheers:

But when I lifted my head I had a good view of the queue at the Calcutt locks. Despite the delay, I didn't hear a single raised voice. Compare that to what would happen on a road..... :cheers:

Heaven alone knows how long the queues will get on Bank Holidays when they open the Ventor Farm Marina extension. I was tring to count the new berths from the towpath and I made it about 250. :cheers:

The human race is extremely arrogant if we really believe that we have or can take any responsibility for what happens to our climate.

Isn't it equally arrogant to assume that you can keep adding ever increasing amounts of Carbon Dioxide to the atmosphere without there being any price to pay? (And surely that should come under the heading of things that you can influence?) In my experience if you keep adding things to any largely enclosed system, it always produces some sort of change. When you are dependent on that closed system for your survival and don't have anywhere else to go, it might be considered more that arrogance to assume that you will be immune to any effects from your behaviour. Hubris, perhaps?

Out on the river with the canoes over the weekend and had a splashingly good time. Picnic weather was in much abundance as was laughter and cheer. Though our poor little dog discovered that standing on nettles is not so good for the paws!

Saw many boats cruising and much polishing, cleaning etc in the marinas.

After a period of bitter north easterly winds it's a relief to be able to work outside without layers of clothes and cold hands!

I spent Good Friday midday at Kings Lock Tea Rooms at Aylestone, Leicester. The tea rooms celebrated the start of it's forth season with a grand fundraising do for the local children's hospice and the place was heaving in the sunshine. The local BBC radio broadcast the event live from the garden where wave after wave of punters shelled out their fiver for a cream scone and a pot of tea to accompaniment of local musicians. I counted 4 Mad Hatters and three Alices but the host Tony was dressed as a furry bee for some reason.

The long winter was all the longer for the place being shut - for me it was like your favourite local being closed for refurbishment so I'll look forward to stealing away for a few more visits soon.

King Learie :D

DSCF0434.jpg

As a follow-on to my post yesterday, here are a couple of pix of the grand opening of the Tea Rooms at Aylestone's Kings Lock in Leicester. Tony and Julie had worked 20 hour days leading up to the Good Friday and raised a good £700 for the chosen charity but they made a big loss on the day. But as lots of new people discovered this hidden treasure of tranquility and good nosh and of course, with any growing venture, the pay-back will be in increased numbers of customers in the months to come. Boaters generally don't stop as they are DESPERATE to get through this 'renowned' city of bandits before they get stuffed - the trouble is, they've stuffed themselves with old rumours so thus miss out on an interesting city with lots to offer!!

Sad....

DSCF0425.jpg

King Learie

PS I agree with Carlt's sentiments wholeheartedly on the current 'Bandits' topic.

I'll be dropping by the tearooms on my way to Foxton this year.

I found it last year, and have not been able to pass it without something with bacon in it. I even took Malc

Who thoroughly enjoyed it. Barney got a fuss as well. If I get up there this year, I hope to visit again as well.