Loughborough and Mountsorrel Locks

Richard T

Featured Posts

No one else I've asked so far has heard anything other than they are on stoppage. I think treddieafloat is below the lock currently, waiting out the floods, he may have gleaned information?

I can't imagine closing them for 2 months in the spring will go down well with local marine businesses and charities.

Edited by Ally

They cannot close the lock at Mountsorrel if the river is expected to be under flood conditions as the river locks are used as sluices with paddles both ends opened fully. There is also the fact that the stop planks would be topped over on flood conditions, thus damaging equipment being used in the works process.

Perhaps they have therefore postponed both to send the resource up North to the Rochdale and Calder.

Though to be fair, in most winter 2 month periods, the soar is likely to flood at some point. There is still the backwater and weir though. It would be interesting to watch. I just wish the stoppages were updated so we knew what was happening

Of course, if it floods as it did in 2012, nothing will relieve it!

They've done the same with paddles at barrow, having realised that the newly rebuilt sluice here can't actually be opened! Bless.

Edited by Ally

Ah, thanks for that! Any news of mountsorrel? Yesterday a local boater said the delay was getting the work boats through the river, apparently they are, or were, at Sawley. A boater from Redhill also told us the sunken boat above Ratcliffe lock has now swung across the river, so might need to check that hasn't caused a stoppage. ...I guess that will depend on levels though, I know it was deep enough to go over it a while back.

Loughborough lock is being worked on. You can see the work boats as you go over the road bridge nearby. No sign of anything happening at Mountsorrel. Maybe they are planning to work there after finishing in Loughborough. If that's the case. I'm not sure why they had do declare both shut at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...