B 2 B charger advice needed, 12v to 24v

Arthur Brown

Featured Posts

B to B chargers are available but typically only switch on when the source battery is being charged and switch off when not so as not to drain the source. Is it your intention that it will be used in this fashion since you only mention automotive 12v DC?

It's to charge a 24v battery from a 12v car while travelling so likely yes!

Automotive to include 12v - 13.8v as usually provided by a car alternator.

If its two 12v batteries you could start off on the journey charging one of the batteries and swap the leads over halfway through the journey to charge the other one.

Probably overkill but found this Durite one with up to 10 amps charge current.

How about one of these boost converters? This one claims to have adjustable current limit. Never tried it but looks as though it should do the trick, and fairly cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-600W-10-60V-to-12-80V-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Module-car-Power-Supply-ZL-/161895924619?hash=item25b1bfc38b:g:5~8AAOSw8-tWUx0K

How about one of these boost converters? This one claims to have adjustable current limit. Never tried it but looks as though it should do the trick, and fairly cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-600W-10-60V-to-12-80V-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Module-car-Power-Supply-ZL-/161895924619?hash=item25b1bfc38b:g:5~8AAOSw8-tWUx0K

The price is right that if the adjustable output current bit us a lie and it releases all its magic smoke you'll not have lost a lot.

I've ordered one out of interest, but 5 days delivery so we'll have to wait to see what it's like.

I ordered one too out of curiosity when you first posted the link!

The listing states "12V -80V continuously adjustableOutput current: maximum output current of 10A ( adjustable )"

I wonder how these parameters are adjusted. I can't see any method, i.e. no pots on the board.

If its two 12v batteries you could start off on the journey charging one of the batteries and swap the leads over halfway through the journey to charge the other one.

Or wire them in parallel if you can!

A lot of radio controlled battery chargers run from 'automotive 12v' but are typically more like 7.2v Ni-MH or Lithium. some might do a 24v lead acid?

Daniel

I was reading the spec of the Sterling B2B charger earlier and it says it only charges the target battery when the donor battery voltage is above 13v, i.e. when the alternator is charging.

Even so at £300-ish a basic inverter and 24v charger is still going to be cheaper.

The listing states "12V -80V continuously adjustableOutput current: maximum output current of 10A ( adjustable )"

I wonder how these parameters are adjusted. I can't see any method, i.e. no pots on the board.

There's two multi-turn pots, the blue things with the little shiny brass screw on top. One will be for output voltage, the other for output current. Edited by nicknorman

There are 2 tiny brass screws for adjustment on the one I purchased,all works ok.

CT

Isn't there a need to disconnect from input source when engine not running though in order to suit OP's requirements not to mention draining source battery?

There's two multi-turn pots, the blue things with the little shiny brass screw on top. One will be for output voltage, the other for output current.

Now I've looked on a pc instead of a phone I see that they are labelled "I Adj" and "V Adj"