Adding Ballast

Featured Posts

Thank you, Sea Dog. What Alan said makes sense. Ditchcrawler - the lid is a seat on a semi-trad, currently it is hinged along its long length, but that is letting water in, so the design will be changed. Its been subject to strong winds and driving rain recently, (we are in the north-west), but the temporary cover, (old yoga mat held down with bricks), seems to help.

To just make sure we are all on the same wavelength. wink.png

We have a semi-trad with gas locker at the stern on one side, the lid lets in water but the boat lists the wrong way for the water to drain from the locker side vent.

Snufkin.

Is that about right?

Most of the lockers of that design, I have seen, have a channel (U-tube) mounted all round the edge of the opening and a drain hole sometimes piped away, to stop water entering the locker.

Edited by bottle

I managed to get my hands on several Avery type 56lb weights. These have a handle for ease of movement.

They are invaluable for trimming the boat. We either use one of the bow lockers or the bottom of a wardrobe.

Most boats will list when the fitout is completed. You then rearrange the ballast to correct it.

Agreed, the builder will likely have done his best to either the right about of ballast to get it near, or use a thick enough base-plate its self ballasting but it will always need some trimming. We actually have to live-trim Emily Anne as we use coal out of the bunket by sliding 100kg of 25kg ingots from one side to the other.

To comply with the BSS the gas locker MUST have a gas drain at the lowest point.

Yes and no. Emily Anne's locker is welded all round inside, to the drain is of the bottom by the circa 5mm fillet weld. Never had any issues with BSS, but traps enough water to be worth keeping it from getting in through the lid!

...infact as long as the widows and doors stayed more or less leak free it would probably cat pretty much like a self righting lifeboat it it was forcibly turned upside down..

That of the floor will come up and all the ballast falls to the roof!

I managed to get my hands on several Avery type 56lb weights. These have a handle for ease of movement.

They are often a lot more than other options, but you can get them cheaply from time to time, certainly handly if you need one or two to live-trim for a not quite central loo tank of the like. They can also double as mud-weights.

Daniel

They are often a lot more than other options, but you can get them cheaply from time to time, certainly handly if you need one or two to live-trim for a not quite central loo tank of the like. They can also double as mud-weights.

Daniel

Like us.

56lb weights seem to have become trendy and so rare to find any at a low cost, tractor weights on the other hand do come up from time to time on ebay. I got 270kg for £130 though I did collect them and that cost me another £25 in fuel. Being 'flat they do fit out of site behind the shower on in cupboards and being up against the side of the boat ar far more effective than laid flat. One I move from side to side depending on how full the toilet tank is.