Which Generator?

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

Tommy.

Please at least consider a larger capacity genny.

Say 1500-2000w.

At the moment you really are limiting your choices and also allowing no room for any growth.

EG you may decide in the future to use a power tool, or a hoover, or washing machine?

If you have a small set [1000w peak] you may not be able to run them.

There is a lot more choice if you go larger.

If possible get an 'inverter' style so that it will run sensitive kit.

This will save looking for one in the future.

I have a 2kW genny but it weighs 26kg or something stupid and is a right pain to manhandle about, in and out of the boat to use and put away.

So I bought the cheapy Screwfix Impax genny 700W to run my 12Amp 24V Sterling charger as it only weighs 8kG and is a dream to sling around.

Works fine most of the time but I think it's right on the limit of being big enough to cope with the charger start-up current. Occasionally, the charger just won't boot up. I think the genny can't deliver the transient start-up current required by the charger, even though the genny is rated as plenty big enough for steady state running.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I have a 2kW genny but it weighs 26kg or something stupid and is a right pain to manhandle about, in and out of the boat to use and put away.

So I bought the cheapy Screwfix Impax genny 700W to run my 12Amp 24V Sterling charger as it only weighs 8kG and is a dream to sling around.

Works fine most of the time but I think it's right on the limit of being big enough to cope with the charger start-up current. Occasionally, the charger just won't boot up. I think the genny can't deliver the transient start-up current required by the charger, even though the genny is rated as plenty big enough for steady state running.

Another interesting review of genny requirements. Off the top of my head your charger would draw say 400 watts once running, but your 700 watt genny only just copes which is fairly consistent with the twice current draw recommendation when choosing a genny.

I know cost is an important issue for many but why do they insist on choosing gennies with such marginal output, often finding that they have to fork out again for one that will power their charger later. If you can't afford a suitable new one buy secondhand. If you can't lift a suitcase generator you probably can't operate many locks either!

Soft start chargers and manually starting them in low power are workarounds but why complicate matters - just buy a (more than?) adequately sized genny and enjoy better fuel consumption, greater longevity and peace of mind.

Loafer, you're using Morris 30w in your eu10i? How does it run on that? Ok?

I want to try thicker oil but didn't know which to go for. Would you recommend it?

Yes I think you're right here. If I have to get a new one, I will expect to get a 1.2 to 2kw generator.

I'd genuinely be happy with a eu10i again if it had less wear. Does anyone know of any larger generators for around £300-£400 new or second hand?

Off the top of my head your charger would draw say 400 watts once running, but your 700 watt genny only just copes which is fairly consistent with the twice current draw recommendation when choosing a genny.

More like 550 watts. 40 amps at 13.5v even 40 x 12v is nearly 500 watts.

Add in the inefficiency of the charger which can be as high (or is that low) as 70% & the PF factor of say 0.8 & its easy to see why you need double the output. Never mind the inrush current.

Loafer, you're using Morris 30w in your eu10i? How does it run on that? Ok?

I want to try thicker oil but didn't know which to go for. Would you recommend it?

Yes I think you're right here. If I have to get a new one, I will expect to get a 1.2 to 2kw generator.

I'd genuinely be happy with a eu10i again if it had less wear. Does anyone know of any larger generators for around £300-£400 new or second hand?

Yes it runs fine on 30W. Dunno about thicker oils, but hoping someone might know.

Persevere with your eu10i until it dies! It appears to be using no more oil than mine, and oil is cheaper than a new genny.

I've done an oil change with 10w40 and some fuel additive which has made it stink and not run so well with choke off... I'll leave it running to give the whole thing a clear out. Hopefully it's just smelling as its clearing all the carbon deposits out.

I thought I was having eye problems but have realised your posting the same on two threads.

How much would it cost to rebuild the engine?

See this post from another thread:

Indeed. Sadly it's in Norfolk.

Interesting blog: http://petepower-discussion.blogspot.co.uk/

In fact, here is the very problem described. http://petepower-discussion.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/honda-eu10i-smoking-to-ring-or-not-to.html

I've done an oil change with 10w40 and some fuel additive which has made it stink and not run so well with choke off... I'll leave it running to give the whole thing a clear out. Hopefully it's just smelling as its clearing all the carbon deposits out.

I had a Honda car that proper failed emissions. Bought the additive for the oil, did a couple hundred miles and she sailed the mot. I think it's based on soft metal particles which block any scratch in the bore

Very much doubt the carb is the cause of excess oil usage.

IF you are going to keep it may I suggest that you try Loafer's suggestion of the thicker oil maybe with also disconnecting the oil level sensor.

Very much doubt the carb is the cause of excess oil usage.

IF you are going to keep it may I suggest that you try Loafer's suggestion of the thicker oil maybe with also disconnecting the oil level sensor.

An added note here - my oil cutout was clearly misbehaving. It operated with perfectly acceptable oil levels on the dipstick, but needed a fill up to the threads on the filler hole to stop it cutting in.

After removing the appropriate wire, (I can't remember which, but it wasn't difficult) the thing ran properly but you THEN need to remember to top up the oil frequently. I'm not even sure I ever need to do an oil change!

ETA: It wasn't me who suggested THICKER oil, Tony - I'm using 30W, but quite a bit of it. About a cupful per month or 3 tanks of petrol.

Edited by Loafer

More like 550 watts. 40 amps at 13.5v even 40 x 12v is nearly 500 watts.

Add in the inefficiency of the charger which can be as high (or is that low) as 70% & the PF factor of say 0.8 & its easy to see why you need double the output. Never mind the inrush current.

Well I would suggest more but you unfortunately mis-read. I was referring to MtB's 24v 12 amp charger.

I've put in 10w40 and it's been running all day without the sensor cutting out. I don't think the sensor is faulty, just eating too much oil which hopefully this has helped cut down.

The carb issue is that it doesn't run right without choke. It's really starts revving high and low, like when it sounds when it's running out of petrol.

I must admit I don't remember this doing that before I took the carb apart the first time but I'm not sure how a carb clean could have made it worse without putting it back together incorrectly.

I've put in 10w40 and it's been running all day without the sensor cutting out. I don't think the sensor is faulty, just eating too much oil which hopefully this has helped cut down.

The carb issue is that it doesn't run right without choke. It's really starts revving high and low, like when it sounds when it's running out of petrol.

I must admit I don't remember this doing that before I took the carb apart the first time but I'm not sure how a carb clean could have made it worse without putting it back together incorrectly.

Did you remove the jet(s) and wash them in Acetone/Nail Varnish remover / Carb. cleaner and blow them through with compressed air?

CT

Or there is the Impax 1.2 at 18kg which is an inverter Genny, runs my washing machine and my tumble dryer (not together) peak load is 1500w.

Phil