CART Threatening Letter.

OptedOut

Featured Posts

Since around 2001 we have only ever licenced our boat for six months from May-October and moored in private water for the winter, BW were made aware of this fact on at least two occasions; they eventually apologized in writing for their mis-handling of a relatively simple situation.

This year I received a rather threatening letter from CaRT and would inquire if anyone else has suffered similar harassment?

post-6951-0-18667100-1448626942_thumb.jpg

Since around 2001 we have only ever licenced our boat for six months from May-October and moored in private water for the winter, BW were made aware of this fact on at least two occasions; they eventually apologized in writing for their mis-handling of a relatively simple situation.

This year I received a rather threatening letter from CaRT and would inquire if anyone else has suffered similar harassment?

I wouldn't say it is threatening or harassing, just a bit irritating. Certainly not as threatening as those TV licensing letters! Why not just reply/phone/email saying the boat is currently not on CRT waters, and then that will be the end of the issue. It would probably have taken no more time than creating this thread. Edited by nicknorman

If you haven't told them that you are now moored off CRT waters, then it isn't CRT harrassment, it's your inefficiency. They have no reason to assume that just because you've done it before, you'll do it again - I think you'll find that you are expected to tell them each time you change your mooring/CC position, which seems fair enough to me. As you appear to have only told BW twice in fourteen years, and never informed CRT at all since the change from BW, I'm not surprised they've written to you.

There does seem to be an kneejerk reaction of harrassment whenever CRT raise any queries, which is a bit over the top mostly and diminishes the sympathy genuine cases get (wolf-crying syndrome).

Also let them know where it is moored. When we brought our boat she had been in Frounds Bridge Marina for over a year, this if off CRT waters and therefore didn't need a licence. When we 'renewed' it we had no problems, I think we had to say where it had been moored. I would think the same is true for boats moored on EA waters who then apply for a licence during the cruising season.

There does seem to be an kneejerk reaction of harrassment whenever CRT raise any queries, which is a bit over the top mostly and diminishes the sympathy genuine cases get (wolf-crying syndrome).

Totally spot on.

Rubbish, they have informed you of the terms and conditions of your licence, it is you that is not complying with terms and conditions.

Just inform them of your new mooring, with an apology for not complying.

Edited by bottle

Seems threatening to us as it appears to imply that they had already 'fined' us £150! We also have two written apologies from BW so the fact the issue continues= harassment?

Rubbish, I suggest you read what the letter actually says rather than what you want it to say for some dramatic effect on an internet forum.

If you haven't told them that you are now moored off CRT waters, then it isn't CRT harrassment, it's your inefficiency. They have no reason to assume that just because you've done it before, you'll do it again - I think you'll find that you are expected to tell them each time you change your mooring/CC position, which seems fair enough to me. As you appear to have only told BW twice in fourteen years, and never informed CRT at all since the change from BW, I'm not surprised they've written to you.

You miss the point, they have already attempted to 'fine' us £150.

No they have not, it is in the terms of licensing your boat for use on C&RT waters.

You did not renew early so do not get the discount, you have not renewed within one calender month, so there is an extra charge for the extra work you have caused them.

Edited by bottle

Rubbish, they have informed you of the terms and conditions of your licence, it is you that is not complying with terms and conditions.

Just inform them of your new mooring, with an apology for not complying.

The terms and conditions of our licence expired with the licence!

You miss the point, they have already attempted to 'fine' us £150.

How is pointing out to you that you have missed a discount an attempt to fine you?

CRT are a different organisation from what went before you can't "visit the sins of the father on to the sons even to the third generation" any more.

EDIT: Typing to slowly!

Edited by Jerra

but you have taken your b oat off C&RT waters (correct?) but did not inform them, how do you expect them to know that, are they psychic.

The fault is yours and yours alone, next year inform them, in good time and the reminder will not be sent

Edited by bottle

How is pointing out to you that you have missed a discount an attempt to fine you?

CRT are a different organisation from what went before you can't "visit the sins of the father on to the sons even to the third generation" any more.

I will be very disappointed if you are suggesting all BW records were not passed on to CaRT.

I doubt that a human being was involved in the sending of this letter, the 'computer' will have a program that prints and sends them unless a human puts in the data that a licence has been paid or C&RT have been informed that the boat has been removed from their waters.

You did not inform, computer prints letter and envelope, machine puts letter in envelope, envelope is placed in sack,Royal mail collects sack, letter delivered to address.

Now all hell lets loose because instead of thinking oops! I forgot to tell them.

I will have a go at C&RT for my mistake.