full traction batteries

peterboat

Featured Posts

i today removed one of my battery banks and took them into ibcs near me the bank is 10 years old, so tomorrow i will have the lowdown on them. they have put them on a equalisation charge and maybe something to shake them all about. they will measure sgs tomorrow and check acid strengths as well to make sure all is ok. the charger should be able to give me a report on their health clever stuff eh. i am expecting to have one duff cell as it has been using more water than the others, will give you the lowdown tomorrow

Sounds like he may have a bunch of 2V batteries in series/parallel...

Sure but he refers to them (correctly) as "banks" so I envisage a bank of 6 2 volt cells, and another bank of 6 2v cells in parallel. He's only removed one bank for checking. So I am guessing each 2v cell is 720AH.

batteries ok they are however adjusting acid strengths as non are correct. when i bought this bank from pb batteries they came on a truck from poland and they were flat no charge in them at all. i complained about this but by then the batteries were in and solar was pumping them up. however they have never performed as well as they should which is why i have taken them out for checking and to clean up and paint that area. batteries are expensive things and full tractions if looked after will do 20 years of service fingers crossed

batteries ok they are however adjusting acid strengths as non are correct. when i bought this bank from pb batteries they came on a truck from poland and they were flat no charge in them at all. i complained about this but by then the batteries were in and solar was pumping them up. however they have never performed as well as they should which is why i have taken them out for checking and to clean up and paint that area. batteries are expensive things and full tractions if looked after will do 20 years of service fingers crossed

They definitely should have been charged. They are fully charged immediately the electrolyte is added to the plates. They were duff and it's lucky they recovered a bit, I think.

I have 12 from pb also. I picked them up from manchester. Fully charged. I can't fault them.

Mine are just 580ah though @ 24v.

i have two 720 ah banks running in parallel at 12 volts i did not rate pbs service at all. the second bank i bought from ibcs it was cheaper and he gave me watering systems as well for both banks which makes life easier. i have not collected the batteries they were going to do something else after the acid sorting so monday will see all things sorted

'Strewth. Your boat must look like a small town, at night!

to be fair. I struggle to run the power down.

I don't have all my lights on...maybe I should.

I do run an inverter as the fridge is 240v

so is the tv and washing machine.

collected the batteries this afternoon they have spent all weekend on a charger of some sort. it discharged the batteries completely yesterday and measured the amps doing so, it then recharged them and pronounced them fit for service or so neil told me clever stuff these chargers or battery conditioners or whatever they are. with luck they should do another 10 years or so.

Peterboat what sort of boat do you have, I have probably missed it somewhere to have these 2 large banks of batteries and a heat store onboard, or am I getting mixed up?

i have a 57 x 12 widebeam with wheelhouse my boat examiner calls it a dutch barge but it isnt although it looks like one. i have 2 x large banks because i live off grid and the heatstore was a solution to a problem of different heat sources. the batteries also provide ballast at the stern it all works which is the main point

i have a 57 x 12 widebeam with wheelhouse my boat examiner calls it a dutch barge but it isnt although it looks like one. i have 2 x large banks because i live off grid and the heatstore was a solution to a problem of different heat sources. the batteries also provide ballast at the stern it all works which is the main point

Ta

i have two 720 ah banks running in parallel at 12 volts i did not rate pbs service at all. the second bank i bought from ibcs it was cheaper and he gave me watering systems as well for both banks which makes life easier. i have not collected the batteries they were going to do something else after the acid sorting so monday will see all things sorted

How do you charge them?? I've always been told that you should have an alternator giving out in amps roughly 1/4 of the value of total Ah of the bank. 1440 Ah = 360A alternator... unsure.png

I've always been told that you should have an alternator giving out in amps roughly 1/4 of the value of total Ah of the bank. 1440 Ah = 360A alternator... unsure.png

That's an interesting 'rule' that I've not heard before.

The answer to the question is associated with the question "What size charger do I need?"

Tony

That's an interesting 'rule' that I've not heard before.

The answer to the question is associated with the question "What size charger do I need?"

Tony

Not at all sure if the rule is anything more than a guide to give a reasonable charging time from 50% (or whatever you call minimum).

A lower charging current will merely mean that you have to charge for longer.

N