Small/tiny stoves ?

W+T

Featured Posts

Has any folk on here got experience with these small stoves, i mean like 3Kw out put, it is for a 20 foot GRP cruiser, i have always wanted one of these

https://www.savvysurf.co.uk/stoves/camping-stoves/pipsqueak-mini-wood-burning-bell-tent-stove.html

Only draw back is the times it needs refilling as the box is only small and by time morning comes it will need relighting from scratch, well i would think so anyway.

Is there any stoves out there of similar size that are good to keep warm over night. If not i will stick with an LPG heater.

I know there will be come back saying stoves are not safe on GRP boats, but if fitted properly then there is just as much chance of a stove cauisng trouble on a steel boat.

Merry Xmas icecream.gif

Wayne

Hi Top cat, Valor Willow twice the price and poor control, not good? i have just been reading up on the Pip Squeak, shame it is a rear flue outlet only, but i am off out on the boat now so will see if it will still fit, small flue so...

It is a cast also and i read that with blocks it will burn over night, well the MK3 will as there is better control than the original.

If not i will stick with an LPG heater.

Of course this correctly fitted and vented/chimneyed to the outside.

I know there will be come back saying stoves are not safe on GRP boats,

Oh, no there won't, if as you say it is fitted correctly.

Of course this correctly fitted and vented/chimneyed to the outside.

Oh, no there won't, if as you say it is fitted correctly.

Of course as with all appliances.

It will be the first time if nobody does when folk with GRP mention fitting a stove.

Hi Wayne,

I think you get what you pay for with stoves. It doesn't look like it has been "engineered". I'd be worried about sharing sleeping space with it.

Where are you going to keep your fuel?

Hi Andy, most if not all the read ups i have done on them are from folk that use them for there sheds/workshop and camping. They do seem cheap dont they dont they.

There is loads of storage under the rear deck, enough for two sacks, more than enough.

The alternative is a boatman, they are small and will keep in over night and have a top flue.

Neil

This Boatman stove Neil, i have seen there are a few, i just googled Boatman stove.

http://www.boatmanstove.co.uk/

if so looks a little cracker.

Not quite as physically small, but I run a boatman in my 27ft, and as it's a centre cockpit, the front cabin is possibly even smaller than that on your boat.

And your review on the Boatman Stove ( is it the same as the one in the above link )

Brilliant little stove, can run for 30+ hours on excel smokeless without touching it, very well designed and made, use mine with a backboiler, but the top plate still gets hot enough to do all my cooking on. Only downside is the ash pan isnt the full width of the grate, so you have to scoop some out with a shovel from time to time.

[edit]

yes it's the one you linked to, Eddie the bloke that makes them is a brilliant chap.

Edited by MarkHez

A friend of mine may have an old style boatman up for sale soon, recently came out of a house installation, can enquire if you'd like.

No harm in asking please. Thanks.

What is the old style like, just different design?

I have been looking where to fit one, i need to find the fitting specs but from usual fittings i need a 2sqf area for it to fit, that could mean loss of some cupboard storage inside, need to think if it is worth it.

Those boatman stoves are made just down the road from you Wayne.

Yep, i am off this week so could pop down and have a mooch and chat to Eddie about them. Good read up up to now on them.

Brilliant little stove, can run for 30+ hours on excel smokeless without touching it, very well designed and made, use mine with a backboiler, but the top plate still gets hot enough to do all my cooking on. Only downside is the ash pan isnt the full width of the grate, so you have to scoop some out with a shovel from time to time.

[edit]

yes it's the one you linked to, Eddie the bloke that makes them is a brilliant chap.

Any tips for keeping a fire in for 30 hours. I love my Boatman but so far have not managed more than 6 hours.

Eddie is a top bloke by the way.

Any tips for keeping a fire in for 30 hours. I love my Boatman but so far have not managed more than 6 hours.

Eddie is a top bloke by the way.

I believe it depends a lot on what you are burning, on my stove in the con`y i use a mix and it is a cheap chinese stove but still going hot 12 hrs after if adjusted right.

If it's a new airwash model boatman (old ones didn't have a top airwash vent, and had a different handle), then wind the airwash knob in all the way, then out almost a full turn, and then do the same with the bottom vent. If burning some half decent coal, this will make it last 24 hours +

If you wind the bottom vent out about another half a turn it will keep in for about 10 hours (on a well banked up fire) and keeps my front cabin and back cabin at about 15 degrees (when it was -2 outside yesterday)

[edit to add]

I burn 50% excel and 50% mixed ovoids (none smokeless, rather cheap) at the moment.

Edited by MarkHez

I have to say, had a stove and heaps of advice form Eddie

His stoves, I've had the boatman, have been great basic, but well built.

A lot of hear out for a small stove.

A lot of stove, for not a lot of money

Col

Edited by bigcol

This Boatman stove Neil, i have seen there are a few, i just googled Boatman stove.

http://www.boatmanstove.co.uk/

if so looks a little cracker.

I installed one a few weeks ago, they're brilliant (and much better than the Squirrel it replaced).

Benefits:

• It's small
  • It looks nice
  • It's cheap
  • Eddie is a very nice bloke (although his web site looks carp (anag) and he sometimes takes ages to respond to emails)
  • We've kept it in for 15 hours without problems. Overnight is easy.
  • More economical than the Squirrel
  • Heats up fast
  • Very controllable
  • The airwash works much better than on the Squirrel
  • If you close the dampers completely it goes out and cools in half an hour to the point that the chimney can be capped

Problems:

• The ash pan is mickey mouse, far too small. To stop ash falling out when riddling it's useful to keep a steel pan on the floor under the door. Ours lives there permanently.
  • That's it.

Martin/