stepping over the gap

Mickonearth

Featured Posts

Hi all, I'm a totally inexperienced yet determined boat dreamer, and am seeking advice.

I'm currently caught in the benefits trap - huge rent prohibits me working as I'd become homeless if I did so. Not workshy, and once aboard, I'd be able to generate income towards buying my first narrowboat. Are there people who require boatsitters, and if so, how do I find them? Are there boats cheap to rent, who might accept housing benefit tenants? Are there people who might teach me a few basics in exchange for work, and my scintillating company? In fact, does anybody have any advice whatsoever for a keen bean with no capital?

Mick.

I suppose there may be the odd person looking for boat sitting but it seems unlikely they'd want to entrust their boat to a stranger with no boating experience. Renting a boat our properly requires the correct safety certification, insurance and licence all of which are fairly expensive. Folk do rent boats out "illegally" but mostly in London I believe, where its unlikely to be cheap.

As you say, you are caught in a trap but the root cause of this is that accommodation in London is ludicrously expensive and only affordable if you are on a good wage. Therefore my advice would be to get out of the trap that is London and the South East and head to somewhere where the minimum wage is the same but the cost of accommodation is much less. Even though folk in London find it hard to believe, there is a big old world out there outside of London!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

Nick where did he say he's in London? Even if he does live in London, how I he supposed to get the money to follow your advice?

Regards kris

The location in his profile says London. I agree that it is not particularly easy to make the move with no cash reserve - that is the trap - but there is only one way out of it. He also describes himself as having a bit of go-get about him. Edited by nicknorman

Nick where did he say he's in London? Even if he does live in London, how I he supposed to get the money to follow your advice?

Regards kris

Exactly. There needs to be a relocation programme to enable people especially the young unemployed to relocate NOT I might add forcibly. The finance should be there for rent etc and a job will have to be found by the applicant with financial assistance to travel for interviews. Get the job and the Gov. scheme will pay months rent and deposit.

The OP has set his location as London in his profile; this shows under his avatar (or where is avatar would be if he had one).

What would you advise him to do Kris?

Sorry I can't see the location I'm on my phone.

I'd get some money together somehow cash in hand work, selling the big issue etc. he says he's not work shy. Then find a cheap plastic cruiser just to get afloat.

Regards kris

Sorry I can't see the location I'm on my phone.

I'd get some money together somehow cash in hand work, selling the big issue etc. he says he's not work shy. Then find a cheap plastic cruiser just to get afloat.

Regards kris

And a mooring?

• Greenie 1

Exactly. There needs to be a relocation programme to enable people especially the young unemployed to relocate NOT I might add forcibly. The finance should be there for rent etc and a job will have to be found by the applicant with financial assistance to travel for interviews. Get the job and the Gov. scheme will pay months rent and deposit.

I agree, but unfortunately there isn't. Well of course there is higher up the ladder, companies looking for qualified staff in short supply offer relocation packages, but supply and demand means that this doesn't happen with low skilled jobs.

Thanks for your replies thus far. Your work suggestion is a possibility Kris. I could possibly afford a boat in a year doing so. Also, I would be able to return to my former profession of nursing, if it wasn't for the rent issue. Yes, I'm in London, but originate from the Black Country, via everywhere. So I know you don't melt if you cross the M25. But my son lives at Kingston, so I have to be nearish.

Keep it coming, my ears are open.

Mick.

Dont you need a mooring before they issue a Liscence ?

I might be wrong on that.

CRT wishes that this was true.

Mick you will be surprised how cheap small boats can be, probably not in London though. This is what the internet is good for.

Edited by kris88

The one thing that is certain, if you want to change your situation the only person who is going to do it is you.

I don't know where abouts in London you are mick.But my advice for finding some cash in hand work, is knock on the kitchen doors of as many posh resteraunts as possible. Ask if they need an extra pot washer running up to Christmas.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

True, Kris. I lost my nursing career to a head injury. But I retrained as an practitioner of alternative medicine. I can generate cash this way, and am in the process of making it happen.

I'm 51, so I think I've just missed out on a young persons' resettlement programme. Oh, I must get an avatar! Just joined an hour or so ago.

Mick.