HS2 and the Grand Union

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Overheard an interesting conversation in the "Bluebell" at tring reservoirs yesterday.

A reporter was talking to the proprietor about the likely effect of hs2 on his business. It seems the contractor's will be digging a ditch alongside the canal to take water?

This evidently will see low levels on sections.

The reporter seemed to believe that the level would be dropped to such an extent, that boats would not be used in the vicinity, and how would this affect his trade.

I can only assume the ditch will be to feed water to the tunnel site for machinery?

I hope that is a bit of scaremongering.

If it means parts of the GU will be impassable then that is a huge issue and harping back to the dark days of when the Blisworth tunnel was blocked.

if true and I think it needs clarifying before any sabre rattling goes on then a concerted effort is needed to protest most strongly at all levels to make sure the GU is maintained at all times as a navigable through route.

I have no idea what they may use water for but usually it is a hard enough job keeping water out of a tunnel.

Can you explain a bit further?

Bluebell Cafe is at Startopsend, Marsworth.

Planned HS2 route is surely not less than 5 miles away at its nearest point is it?

I can't imagine what ditches or tunnels they would need to build at Marsworth to support a railway line so far away from it?

Can you explain a bit further?

Bluebell Cafe is at Startopsend, Marsworth.

Planned HS2 route is surely not less than 5 miles away at its nearest point is it?

I can't imagine what ditches or tunnels they would need to build at Marsworth to support a railway line so far away from it?

I don't have any idea as to why. Its just what I overheard. Am sort of hoping by putting it out there, I'll get some info.

Yeh sorry. Bluebell at marsworth. Dunno why I keep referring to it as tring.

Edited by jenlyn

I'm on too slow a connection right now that the interactive maps I tried looking at will work poroperly - I'll have another look when Internet is better.

However I'm really struggling to see how anything that is broadly passing up through Wendover and Stoke Mandeville could possibly have impact on the GU at Marsworth.

Unless I'm really missing something obvious, this sounds like nonsense to me.

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm on too slow a connection right now that the interactive maps I tried looking at will work poroperly - I'll have another look when Internet is better.

However I'm really struggling to see how anything that is broadly passing up through Wendover and Stoke Mandeville could possibly have impact on the GU at Marsworth.

Unless I'm really missing something obvious, this sounds like nonsense to me.

I hope it is nonsense. Its bad enough with the bottom ever closer to the top as it is. Dropping the levels 6 inches or so at the moment would be a nightmare.

I just cannot understand the "ditch" bit.

• Greenie 1

Can't imagine why HS2 would need to do this. I could believe they might dig ditches to drain water from their sites but not to take it to them!

Andif HS2 somehow made itself reliant on water supplies from the Tring reservoir group, it would have to prepare for periods of non-operation just like the canal does when those reservoirs run low! Water supply from that reservoir group has been an issue for way over 200 years, so it would be daft to rely on it for a new railway costing billions!

OK, let's get back to the original post.

You overheard two people talking about something. It caught your ear because you have a direct interest in the subject matter. Fairy Nuff.

Where did those two people get their information from? You don't know. Where did the people they learned it from get their information? They don't know.

Hardly a traceable evidential trail, is it?

Far more likely some anti HS2 hack stirring it with the locals try to manufacture a story!

George ex nb Alton retired

Could well be that. He didn't stop for a drink or food. Just came in and asked the manager the questions, and opinion.

Overheard an interesting conversation in the "Bluebell" at tring reservoirs yesterday.

A reporter was talking to the proprietor about the likely effect of hs2 on his business. It seems the contractor's will be digging a ditch alongside the canal to take water?

This evidently will see low levels on sections.

The reporter seemed to believe that the level would be dropped to such an extent, that boats would not be used in the vicinity, and how would this affect his trade.

I can only assume the ditch will be to feed water to the tunnel site for machinery?

I'm not quite sure that I see the link between the speculation that a ditch is to be dug and the highlighted section. Unless the ditch penetrates the canal bank I don't see why it should be 'evident' that the levels will drop.

Looking at your strapline concerning the exchange of knowledge/ignorance etc, what is the exchange of speculation?unsure.png

I'm not quite sure that I see the link between the speculation that a ditch is to be dug and the highlighted section. Unless the ditch penetrates the canal bank I don't see why it should be 'evident' that the levels will drop.

Looking at your strapline concerning the exchange of knowledge/ignorance etc, what is the exchange of speculation?unsure.png

Let's not lose the plot eh. I overheard a conversation between a reporter, and a business owner-manager.

I "repeated" what I "overheard" putting it on here. Then I stated that I did so to find if there was any other info out there.

No conspiracy or witchcraft...

Let's not lose the plot eh. I overheard a conversation between a reporter, and a business owner-manager.

I "repeated" what I "overheard" putting it on here. Then I stated that I did so to find if there was any other info out there.

No conspiracy or witchcraft...

But you're not sure where the conversation took place.

:)