Interesting boat for sale

dor

Featured Posts

The Huron Lightship was painted black since she was assigned the black buoy side of the entrance to the Lake Huron Cut.

List of current Trinity House Light Ships in operation.

http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses/light_vessels/

Edited by Naughty Cal

The rig on Audrey - which is these days at the Hermitage moorings in London, near Tower Bridge - is that of a Humber Billyboy - the somewhat more forgotten big brothers of the better known keels & sloops.

Most of the original Billyboy hulls are long gone, and so Audrey was rigged instead on a lightship hull.

But one does still exist - that of Saira, built 1899 by Hunt & Fowler. It changed hands on eBay last year for £6500 in a sorry state, lying Barnstaple.

IMAG0001_zps7969ab57.jpg

This forum can be very informative indeed, I'm going to go and find out the difference between a sloop rig and a billy boy rig.

The difference is the extra mast! This is a Humber sloop rig:

Under-sail.jpg

I had never previously heard of a "billy boy" boat. I wonder how it acquired its name.

I understand that it arose from the area's historical support for William of Orange. People would refer to the sailors from there, and later their boats, as "Billy boys".

I guess this name stuck for this particular type of craft because they went further - being coasters rather than primarily inland/estuary vessels.