Roof Width

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I wasn't exactly sure which section to post this in but I think this should be ok.

I was wondering if I may ask everyone here a quick question about their boats as I am just working on a design for a water heating solar panel that I would like to make practical for fitting to the width restrictions of a narrowboat as often the thermal panels are so big.

Anyway, the question is:

What is the width of the top of your roof?

Thank you in advance!

Yep, my current boat is curved but the boat that I'm building has a flat roof because it is going to be covered in solar panels.

Dimensions wise, we are at 850mm wide, it is just the length I want to be able to fit perpendicular to the length of the boat as this will allow easier mounting with universal brackets.

Edited by CutConcept

Yep, my current boat is curved but the boat that I'm building has a flat roof because it is going to be covered in solar panels.

Dimensions wise, we are at 850mm wide, it is just the length I want to be able to fit perpendicular to the length of the boat as this will allow easier mounting with universal brackets.

That is less than 3 feet

So here is a drawing to show the orientation that I am looking to allow for with the dimensions.

I am sorry about the appalling drawing but I did it in a rush.

Again, the measurements are much appreciated!

post-24005-0-42508400-1445294491_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CutConcept

If I was fitting such panels to our boat's roof, I'd want to leave an access space down the centre and in between the panels so that access to escape ladders on deep locks is still possible. For the record, our boat's roof is about 2 m x 10 m but will be reduced by the handrails near the edges.

Yes I agree that is a good idea for safety, the panels could fit quite nicely along one side of the roof.

The only hassle is when having more than one panel would need some creative plumbing to join them together.

Quite a few of the flat plate and PV panels currently manafactured can be walked on though they could be slippery! Some manufacturers also use dimpled glass which would be grippier.

A flat roof will allow water to pool, not a good idea. You may wish to consider a slight curve to facilitate run off, though I'm sure you know best.

Dave

Having had a boat with a flat roof, I agree that water can tend to pool a bit, and that I find our current slightly curved roof does drain better. Can't say a flat roof caused any major problems though, other than this inconvenience.

I'd noticed you'd had answers to a whole bunch of roof related questions.... except the one you'd asked! I'm away from my boat at the moment or I'd pop up top with a tape measure, so instead I've popped your question back to the top of the new postings list in the hope someone else might! ;)

I am a little lost on this one but trying to understand exactly what you are after so as to help.

When it comes to roof width, if you want a poll of exact sizes, its going to vary around a general size due to many individual designs. As already said there are flat and curved,the curves vary greatly from one build to another.There is also different hand rail designs which will change exact width of roof surface, square,square with recess,tubes on upstands at varying positions in from edge or even non.

It seems you are building your boat to fit this set up onto,so i dont see your problem,unless of course you intend to produce them to supply to others.If this is the case maybe to be sucessful you will have to rethink the intended layout to be more universal. I also think the point raised by hairy animal about roof access is relevent.

Again,i am only trying to help not critsise.

Hi, yeah, the mounting is flexible as to wether it is positioned portrait or landscape one the roof (side by side or end to end) and the mountings will allow it to be mounted onto a curved roof in both portrait or landscape. Boats have many different layouts of chimneys and mushroom vents etc but that would be for the individual boat owner to work out where the panels go. Some people may fit it over the hand rails some may have a roof wide enough that it will fit within the handrails.

For me and my boat the roof is never intended to be walked on (though in an emergency you could).

So here is a sketch of a boat cross section (I'm not used to drawing freehand) of the specific dimension 'X'... The width of the roof... If you also want to supply the gap between the hand rails that would be good.

Your replies are much appreciated!

post-24005-0-72136900-1445367450_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CutConcept

As well as all the factors mentioned that will affect roof width there is another,the ammount of tumblehome (angle of cabin sides) which varies considerabley between boats.Therfore i beleive you will have to work to whichever boat you intend to fit and a poll of random widths may not be the way ahead.

Good luck with the project

Hi, yeah, the mounting is flexible as to wether it is positioned portrait or landscape one the roof (side by side or end to end) and the mountings will allow it to be mounted onto a curved roof in both portrait or landscape. Boats have many different layouts of chimneys and mushroom vents etc but that would be for the individual boat owner to work out where the panels go. Some people may fit it over the hand rails some may have a roof wide enough that it will fit within the handrails.

For me and my boat the roof is never intended to be walked on (though in an emergency you could).

So here is a sketch of a boat cross section (I'm not used to drawing freehand) of the specific dimension 'X'... The width of the roof... If you also want to supply the gap between the hand rails that would be good.

Your replies are much appreciated!

When I fitted my boat if I remember correctly the "ceiling" was a 4 foot sheet with about 5" each side

As well as all the factors mentioned that will affect roof width there is another,the ammount of tumblehome (angle of cabin sides) which varies considerabley between boats.Therfore i beleive you will have to work to whichever boat you intend to fit and a poll of random widths may not be the way ahead.

Good luck with the project

Hi, I am designing a product to be manafactured for the general public a cross section of boat roof widths is exactly what I need to come to the decision of what length I need to be basing my designs on so that it works with as many boats as possible, in as many different setups as possible. I'm not designing it for my boat specifically. In fact all the panels on my boat will be PV.

Ok, so the question is:

What is the width of the top of your roof?

Apologies forgot to say!

About 5 feet on the inside of the handrails. Would be happy to measure exactly on thursday.

Edited by Guest

If I was fitting such panels to our boat's roof, I'd want to leave an access space down the centre and in between the panels so that access to escape ladders on deep locks is still possible. For the record, our boat's roof is about 2 m x 10 m but will be reduced by the handrails near the edges.

So your boat is not a narrowboat then?

a cross section of boat roof widths is exactly what I need to come to the decision of what length I need to be basing my designs on so that it works with as many boats as possible, in as many different setups as possible.

Why don't you go for a wander around your local moorings or marina with a tape measure and measure as many boats as you can? You would get a much bigger sample of what's out there than relying on a few replies here.