Linslade base

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

So we have booked our holiday with Wyvern Shipping , ( odd name , not really a ship)

It isn't such an odd name really if you knew anythng of their history.

The Wyvern Shipping Company stared life as a canal carrying company operating a small fleet of working narrow boats. So the name relates to shipping cargo from one place to another.

That was in the 1950s, I think, but it was not long before working narrow boats were being shortened and given cabin conversions to make them into leisure hire boats The name has simply been retained, being part of the company's long history.

By about the late 1960s / early 1970s the hire boat fleet was comprised about half converted working boats, and half early purpose built hire boats.

The fleet is well looked after, but the frequently applied shiny paint disguises the act that some of the boats are very much older than those in many hire boat fleets. One, at least, that is still operated is old enough to have a wooden rather than a steel cabin!

EDIT:

To me Tim Lewis' suggestion of coach to Watford Junction, then train to Leighton Buzzard sounds sensible. Both those rail stations are moderately important, and there are extra fast trains that do not stop at lesser stations in between, making that bit of the journey fast.

FURTHER EDIT:

Out of interest, when are you doing this, and how long do you have the boat, please? In summer Linslade to Stoke Bruerne is doable in a single day, and at a much more relaxed pace certainly not more than 2 days, so you are looking at a 4 day round trip maximum, unless you wish to spend far more of each day tied up than moving.

Edited by alan_fincher

It isn't such an odd name really if you knew anythng of their history.

The Wyvern Shipping Company stared life as a canal carrying company operating a small fleet of working narrow boats. So the name relates to shipping cargo from one place to another.

That was in the 1950s, I think, but it was not long before working narrow boats were being shortened and given cabin conversions to make them into leisure hire boats The name has simply been retained, being part of the company's long history.

By about the late 1960s / early 1970s the hire boat fleet was comprised about half converted working boats, and half early purpose built hire boats.

The fleet is well looked after, but the frequently applied shiny paint disguises the act that some of the boats are very much older than those in many hire boat fleets. One, at least, that is still operated is old enough to have a wooden rather than a steel cabin!

EDIT:

To me Tim Lewis' suggestion of coach to Watford Junction, then train to Leighton Buzzard sounds sensible. Both those rail stations are moderately important, and there are extra fast trains that do not stop at lesser stations in between, making that bit of the journey fast.

FURTHER EDIT:

Out of interest, when are you doing this, and how long do you have the boat, please? In summer Linslade to Stoke Bruerne is doable in a single day, and at a much more relaxed pace certainly not more than 2 days, so you are looking at a 4 day round trip maximum, unless you wish to spend far more of each day tied up than moving.

Some interesting insight into the company . Thanks Alan, puts things in perspective . We shall be back in UK only for a week in May. other commitments don't allow for more time . So this time we shall only hire for 4 days. enough time to do as suggested ? For the first time I shall have both my wife and a friend as shipmates, we don't plan on any long energetic days cruising.

Some interesting insight into the company . Thanks Alan, puts things in perspective . We shall be back in UK only for a week in May. other commitments don't allow for more time . So this time we shall only hire for 4 days. enough time to do as suggested ? For the first time I shall have both my wife and a friend as shipmates, we don't plan on any long energetic days cruising.

No that sounds an entirely sensible 4 day round trip if you don't wish to rush. May is a good time, I think, as it will not be hugely busy. Enjoy!

http://www.canalholidays.co.uk/about-us

The Wyvern Shipping Company Limited was founded in 1953 as a carrying company with three pairs of narrow boats. These boats mainly carried coal from the Coventry coal fields to London and returned with timber to Birmingham.

Times were changing and by 1956 canal holidays were the future trade with former cargo boats being converted to holiday boats.

The Company has been run by the Griffin family since 1961 and is now operated by James & John Griffin, with their dedicated and skilled labour force.

poppy-holiday-hire-boat-leaving-canal-lo

All our boats have been built in the Wyvern workshops to the highest standard of luxury and safety. To ensure a clean and reliable boat for your holiday we employ an experienced team of cleaners and service engineers. All sheets, duvets, pillowcases and blankets are washed by our local laundry service.

Over the past 50 years many thousands of customers have found the fastest way of slowing down is to have a relaxing holiday on a Wyvern boat. Indeed last year in excess of 70% of our trade came from previous clients and their recommendations.

Find out more about the history of the canals.

They do look smart. Our first-ever UK hire circa 1995 was on a 45 foot Wyvern boat. I don't think that one is still in their fleet; how old are the oldest ones? I always liked the configuration of their rear decks, with the gas lockers doubling as seats, and wonder why more hire companies do not copy this design.

Which would be the real veterans amongst hire boats? I think some of Union Canal Carriers' are quite ancient (if those are the ones which have Sabb engines and olive-green paintwork). Even the bow shape of some of them is reminiscent of working boats. Calcutt's may not be that old but they do look it.

Alternatively you can get a coach from Heathrow to Watford Junction then the train to Leighton Buzzard

Tim

Have done this myself a few times. The bus is green line 724 http://www.greenline.co.uk/timetables-search/724---harlow-to-london-heathrow-airport/

It stops in watford station forecourt and Leighton Buzzard station is a 10 minute walk to Wyvern shipping base.

Waste of time and money going into London only to come back out through Watford station.

Edited by valrene9600

Have done this myself a few times. The bus is green line 724 http://www.greenline.co.uk/timetables-search/724---harlow-to-london-heathrow-airport/

It stops in watford station forecourt and Leighton Buzzard station is a 10 minute walk to Wyvern shipping base.

Waste of time and money going into London only to come back out through Watford station.

Have been quoted £60 - 70 for a door to door taxi . as there are 3 of us way cheaper than any other option. And certainly the most convenient .

Have been quoted £60 - 70 for a door to door taxi . as there are 3 of us way cheaper than any other option. And certainly the most convenient .

Sounds brilliant. Much easier and cheaper. The Heathrow express alone would cost getting on for that much if you were foolish enough to use it.

Obviously best for you but confirms my opinion that we should stop calling buses and trains, 'public transport'. They're not. They are simply a profit making (or not!) Enterprise.

Obviously best for you but confirms my opinion that we should stop calling buses and trains, 'public transport'. They're not. They are simply a profit making (or not!) Enterprise.

Was there ever an era when public transport was not run with the aim of making a profit, with the exception of some corporation 'bus services which were subsidised out of people's rates?

Was there ever an era when public transport was not run with the aim of making a profit, with the exception of some corporation 'bus services which were subsidised out of people's rates?

Whether there was or not, there's little chance of reducing congestion by getting people out of their cars if alternatives are so exoensive. Oh and as so many hate those who get around on bikes. However this isn't the place for this discussion.

However this isn't the place for this discussion.

Then why did you mention it?

Is it still official government policy to encourage people to travel by public transport? It was a few years ago but I haven't heard it mentioned recently.

Would like to hear opinions whether North or South from Linslade would offer the better scenery? I note that the first few miles north passes through Milton Keynes, which looks a sizable town with perhaps industry ? Ideally we would want to stop and see smaller villages. Don't wish to put the foot down just to reach such in the short 4 days we have . Thanks

Would like to hear opinions whether North or South from Linslade would offer the better scenery? I note that the first few miles north passes through Milton Keynes, which looks a sizable town with perhaps industry ? Ideally we would want to stop and see smaller villages. Don't wish to put the foot down just to reach such in the short 4 days we have . Thanks

Go North, much better and you get to cross the Cosgrove 'trough'.

Milton Keynes is a well planned modern city, which for the most part embraces the canal. It's fashionable to 'knock' MK. but few people try to understand it's planning and road system.

The whole character changes once you pass through Cosgrove lock, aim for Stoke B and you will have a really good trip.

Going South is good, but lots of locks.

So we have booked our holiday with Wyvern Shipping , ( odd name , not really a ship) Their boats really do look a cut above , we shall see. Plan on traveling north from Leighton Buzzard, Have looked at their brochure and one or two of the photos there appear to show narrow locks , but I understand he GU to be a wide canal, So which is correct ??

Well to quote Humphrey Bogart in the film "the African Queen", "Boats have oars"

Wyvern have connections to taxi companies that can provide transport from the airport more cheaply than public transport for a group of people.

If you don't want a lot of locks go north. The scenery is lovely and the pubs are great.