Breaking in a new multifuel stove

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Stoves are a bit like new engines used to be, needing ''running in''. That was not so much the moving parts easing off by scraping excess metal away from bearings and cylinder bores and the like, which is what most people thought, but acclimatizing the molecules of the different component metal parts to make them more compatible and so ease stresses because of slight differences in expansion and contraction rates, and this was more quickly and safely done by running the engine under gentle load up to operating temperature, stopping it, and when cold repeating the process several times. Most folk seemed to think that just running the engine for a long, long time without stopping it or taking their car for a lengthy drive did it.

Stoves are a bit similar, especially cast iron ones, A few smallish fires letting it go cold in-between are probably best before whacking up the heat and keeping it lit for a long period.

The Chinese stoves seem to be much more tolerant to these stresses than many of the well known so called ''bespoke'' stoves. I've not known any to crack up, yet.

Incidentally, stove thermometers are useful things (round thing that magnetically sticks to the side of the stove). Either that or, more expensively an eco-fan whose primary purpose is to indicate how hot the stove is by means of the franticness of the otherwise pointless fan rotation.

I love my Ecofan. His name is Ernie. I did also get a stove thermometer of the type you mention, I found it didn't do much of anything!

I love my Ecofan. His name is Ernie. I did also get a stove thermometer of the type you mention, I found it didn't do much of anything!

Can I have mine back then, as you now have one of your own?? :D:D:D

(Actually on reflection, I think I prolly gived it to you as a pressy or summink... Now's you chance to say YES i did!)

• 2 weeks later...